Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

millions could be told to self isolate UK

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbie1A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: millions could be told to self isolate UK
    Posted: February 16 2020 at 1:14am
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/millions-of-people-could-be-told-to-self-isolate-in-uk-report/ar-BB102XWF?ocid=spartanntp

Millions of people could be told to self-isolate for two weeks if they have flu-like symptoms, according a report.
The Sunday Telegraph said the measure could be taken if the number of coronavirus cases in the UK passes 100.
The newspaper said senior NHS managers have been told that the service will stop testing for the strain known as COVID-19 "once around 100 cases have been confirmed".
Those with coughs and colds may then have to stay home to limit the chance of them spreading the virus.

Ok, no idea why but rest of above article doesn't want to copy/paste so here is another one:

LOCKDOWN BRITAIN Coronavirus: Millions of sick Brits ‘to be ordered to self-isolate at home if deadly virus continues to spread in UK’

Samantha Lock
16 Feb 2020, 0:59Updated: 16 Feb 2020, 4:46
MILLIONS of sick Brits could be ordered to self-isolate at home if the deadly coronavirus continues to spread throughout the UK, it's reported.
The possible shift in government strategy could see Brits with flu-like symptoms quarantined in their homes for a fortnight if the number of cases in the UK hits the hundreds.

A man in a medical mask cleaning surfaces inside Ritchie Street Health Centre in IslingtonCredit: London News Pictures
In order to contain it's spread, hospitals have created “isolation pods” in order to ensure that anyone tested for the virus is kept away from other patients.
But now health officials, including NHS chief executive Sir Simon Stevens, say many more people in the UK may need to self-isolate to contain the illness, which has been officially named Covid-19.
Under Britain's Pandemic Influenza Response Plan, protocols are set for ensuring the isolation and treatment of patients for "the first few 100 cases" in order to gather detailed information about a new virus.
But a new attempt to control the virus' spread may be implemented after a series of high-level meetings between health officials.

Senior managers have been told that the NHS could stop testing patients once around 100 cases have been confirmed across the country if there is evidence of "sustained community transmission" within the UK, The Sunday Telegraph reports.
These are cases not linked to any known or previously identified cases.
NINE CONFIRMED CASES
Nine confirmed cases have been treated in the UK so far - with just one left in hospital - after now testing negative twice for the disease.
The last of those at Arrowe Park in quarantine in the Wirral after returning from Wuhan have also been released.

But more than 100 still remain in isolation at Kents Park Hill Hotel in Milton Keynes.
As of Friday, a total of 2,964 people have been tested in the UK, of which 2,955 were confirmed negative.
The health service is struggling to cope with carrying out large volumes of tests.
The NHS has the capacity to carry out 1,000 tests a day - but carried out 763 tests on Thursday alone.
MPs IN ISOLATION
This morning it was revealed two Labour MPs have self-isolated over coronavirus fears after going to a London bus conference attended by an infected patient.
Alex Sobel, MP for Leeds NW, tweeted earlier today he was being tested as one of 250 people who may have come into contact with the killer bug.
The infected person is said to have visited the UK Bus Summit in Westminster on February 6 where Boris Johnson's Buses Minister, Baroness Vere of Norbiton, was star speaker.
Mr Sobel wrote on Twitter: “Whilst I have been informed that I am at very low risk, I have called 111 to be formally assessed."
And another Labour MP who went to the conference, Lillian Greenwood, today said she is cancelling all her public engagements and is at home to be "extra cautious".

ttps://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10973107/millions-sick-brits-ordered-isolate-at-home-coronavirus-spread-uk/
If it's to be - it's up to me!
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 1:23am
I'm going to love see the governments trying to implement that 

In the day and age of "my  rights"

Millennials who think they don't gave even to obay road rules aka using Mobile phones when driving etc.....

Only allowed out every 3 day 

Never going to happen.....

Troops on the street.... 

Shoot to kill 

LMAO.....

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 2:44am
Looks like this way the UK will now escape the WuFlu / SARS-2 /SARS-CoV-2 / Covid-19 / (or whatever is the official name) pandemic.

....At least on the WHO reports, who only accept lab confirmed cases.

So UK will never have more than 100 cases.  Smile

Time to move back to the UK Wink
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 4:14am
Think I'll stay here ,

Most isolated city in the  world.....lol
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 4:41am
Living in "the middle of nowhere" has its price. Expensive deliveries, long trips to Doc or town, but I've never been so glad I do.
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
KiminNM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KiminNM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 8:07am
"The newspaper said senior NHS managers have been told that the service will stop testing for the strain known as COVID-19 "once around 100 cases have been confirmed".

I know this is posted above, but I'm struggling to believe they'd actually do this. WTAF?
quietprepr View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quietprepr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 8:14am
Originally posted by KiminNM KiminNM wrote:

"The newspaper said senior NHS managers have been told that the service will stop testing for the strain known as COVID-19 "once around 100 cases have been confirmed".

I know this is posted above, but I'm struggling to believe they'd actually do this. WTAF?

Seems to me a tacit admission that it is there, they know they cannot stop it, so they are giving up and hoping people will self isolate. No talk of aggressive measures to contain it, no real legal way to enforce it...it didn’t work in China and it will not work in the U.K.

Time to head for the hills at that point!

QP
"Learning is not compulsory... neither is survival." - W. Edwards Deming
Newbie1A View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbie1A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 8:22am
Originally posted by quietprepr quietprepr wrote:

Originally posted by KiminNM KiminNM wrote:

Seems to me a tacit admission that it is there, they know they cannot stop it, so they are giving up and hoping people will self isolate. No talk of aggressive measures to contain it, no real legal way to enforce it...it didn’t work in China and it will not work in the U.K.

Time to head for the hills at that point!

QP

Yes, KiminNM that was my thoughts when I read it - WHY on earth quit testing (would think it would have a bearing on treatment??? maybe they will test those hospitalized???) and HOW are they going to get ppl to stay home from work/school etc voluntarily if they feel good...
And QuietPrepper - definitely time to head for the hills when it reaches this point...
If it's to be - it's up to me!
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 8:41am
Dealing with the NHS from time to time, I am certain they will test hospitalised patients. Without that they can't get the best treatment. But if there are over 100 known infected and the symptoms match in contacts, a diagnosis from examination will probably be used as it is cheaper. Should one of those need hospitalisation, the test will still be on the cards.

Our Docs are amazing, but always on the look out for ways to save money.
WitchMisspelled View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 9:30am
Watching the U.K feels like a preview of what will happen in the States.
EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 11:22am
Earlier on in this outbreak, I read a post that talked of the cost of some testing. If I remember correctly one test cost over $1 000 and another around $300.  While neither price is outrageous, the total price soon adds up with thousands of of people. [E.g. to test all on the Diamond Princess cruise ship would have cost well over $ 1 million for the cheaper test, and ideally some should be tested a number of times.]

Health services have limited funds and I am not surprised that the British National Health System is seeking ways to limit costs when faced with what a costly outbreak that WuFlu / Sars-2 /corvid-19 will be.  I am just surprised at the limit of 100 positive tests, which seems low to me.  It seems to be saying that by the time they reach that number of confirmed cases it will be too widespread to bother with testing.
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 11:25am
It's probably quite a wise move to stop testing all and sundry who present with cold and flu symptoms. The testing alone will tie up millions of man hours and keep staff busy seeing people, the majority of whom will have mild symptoms. They should stick to just testing the serious cases.

As for asking millions to self isolate - well at first they'll all love it. They'll feel like they're getting a few illicit snow days off school. They'll be lots of social media posts showing cups of tea and chocolate biscuits, feet up on the coffee table with a movie on saying how tough it is. But then after a few  days and the novelty has worn off, people will want to get back to normal. Go to the pub. Go to the neighbours, meet friends for coffee and they'll start getting bored. But still it'll be fine. But then they'll start to run out of food and that's when self isolation will have to be converted to enforced isolation.

The British have small houses and not much storage space. I rented a few houses there and they were cramped. I remember reading a suggestion in 1999 saying that you should fill the space under your coffee table with tinned foods for Y2K and cover it with a cloth. I doubt many people have adequate stocks to self isolate for any reasonable length of time. In my experience, the British don't like to be told what to do unless it suits their own needs. I think a rebellion will take place and the whole country will have it.
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quietprepr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 11:57am
I see the logic in not wasting time and money testing when it has broken out completely, but stopping at 100 seems a little low. Unless, as many of us think, it is a foregone conclusion that it will be unstoppable at that point.
Kiwi, I agree that a lock down will seem like a holiday for a few days, but as it drags on, people will be restless and more likely to ignore the warnings. Also, I dont think the British have a monopoly on a lack of stored food...I think that is one of the biggest reasons people will have to break isolation here if if comes to that.
I have no idea how they will be able to enforce something like that here. I routinely see entitled people here argue with police over things that are obviously in their own interests now. 
Troubling times are here...
QP
FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 1:01pm
Does U.K. Have delivery from grocery stores like we have in the states?    You can order pay like $15.00 for delivery order on the net and deliver to your door use your credit/debit card to pay. People at this time can isolate here pretty easy.l

Biggest problem is paying the bills when you are out of work and some losing a job because of this virus.
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 1:14pm
Delivery costs £1 - £5. I have one booked for Tuesday.

Social security would cover basic bills for medical absence. Paying mortgages might be more difficult, but there would be help available. The local councils also give crisis loans for several hundred pounds. Past one month you would need a second loan and so on. They only go up to 3 as far as I am aware. But that would cover most quarrantine. After that, you had better have income insurance.
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 1:26pm
As to stopping tests at 100, I would assume by then it would be pointless - being impossible to contain at that point. That should also confirm, for anyone who still needs it, how bl**dy contagious this bug is.
TheMothership View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheMothership Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 1:31pm
Yes- we have delivery services for shopping. 
And it is quite a concern if people lose jobs etc. 
TheMothership View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheMothership Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 1:32pm
Yes we have delivery services for shopping. 
Losing jobs is a major concern. 
But I guess that along with the masses.
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quietprepr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 1:41pm
Delivery service, like everything else (including power and water) only operate if people come to work. I am concerned about what happens when everyone is too scared to show up.

QP
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 1:48pm
That is why I've got a delivery due. Stocking up some more!!
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 2:04pm
S.I.P

black cross on door,

Cart comes around, 

"Bring out your dead".........

Now when did that happen.........

"The Black Death".....

As for how contagious.....

"Common cold'.......

As for testing costing $$$$$

That's probably why no cases in India, Pakistan etc......

Imagine the cost 1.4 billion people in India

Marcus Aurelius
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 2:54pm
We discussed this at our homeschool this morning and decided that there are two main reasons for the UK gov. to stop testing at 100 cases.

1. To save money and time. To free up medical staff to do other things, and to stop people coming to the hospitals with every little sniffle and ache thinking it's Sars2.

2. To stop panic. If the gov. doesn't know exact figures then they can't be accused of  a cover up. If they know how many have it then they would be obliged to disclose that figure and people would panic. By not knowing they are down playing. Afterall there is no cure and no vaccine. All they can offer is oxygen and care to the serious ones.

It's very clever when you come to think about it. If the news was announcing we have 3 million cases in the UK then many people would be too frightened to go to work or leave the house. By not knowing the numbers it pre-empts that.
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
WitchMisspelled View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by quietprepr quietprepr wrote:

I have no idea how they will be able to enforce something like that here. I routinely see entitled people here argue with police over things that are obviously in their own interests now. 
Troubling times are here...
QP

But they won't be arguing with the police.  They'd be arguing with the Military and probably the National Guard.  But they'd need to give people warning.  I'm not seeing the blasting out of NYC OEM's message of be prepared for 10 days to two weeks which was changed from three days to 10 three days before Superstorm Sandy and has remained on the website.  
FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 3:54pm
I believe the media has done a great job of putting people to sleep on Sars2 by just announcing numbers. Went to Walmart today...fully stocked got 90% alcohol and plenty of it, people are going to really panic when they announce to SIP. They really need to tell people to be ready for at least a two month stay at home, but no let's not tell the children there is a boogeyman out there who will be after you real soon!
Tabitha111 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tabitha111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 4:19pm
Flumom, because of this, I sometimes feel I am over reacting by preparing. I second guess myself all the time lately. Do you ever feel like you are the ONLY person who is paying attention?
I know I do.
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 4:31pm
We all do.

But you are one of us.
FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 5:22pm
Tabitha...oh my gosh all day long I think am I crazy for doing all this prepping!!! I have been doing this since 2006. Just looked at some of my dehydrated foods purchased in 2008. Still in their boxes just waiting and then after my husband died I did a big purchase of freeze dry foods and a rack to put them all into. I like things organized...lol hence the rack. I can tell you my late husband was not on board until he got a pretty high up government position and after learning what he did there he told me to prep away and built pre fab cabinets to put stuff into.

I keep,all of my paper goods tp Kleenex put in a shed that I JUST put a second lock onto today...SO you are not alone in thinking we all may be nuts to do all of this...unless we are told to SIP by our government!! Then we are the smart ones who will have to defend what we have...sadly.
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote quietprepr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 5:38pm
You are not alone! I have been preparing to one degree or another for the past 15 years. I grew up poor, homeless, and starving. I could not live with myself if I had to look my family in the eyes and tell them we have no food because I did not buy it when it was cheap and plentiful. 
I am in public works, my teams provide water and power to thousands of people. I know how fragile the system is and how few people are available to fix things when they go wrong...that made me double down on prepping. 
Keep it up but just remember to take a breath once in a while. There is such a thing as prepper burnout and I am sure many of us long time preppers have experienced it. This is the time to prep, the totality of current circumstances have me very concerned!

QP
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic