Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Italy 16 cases one day!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Italy 16 cases one day!
    Posted: February 21 2020 at 10:47am
FEBRUARY 21, 2020 / 12:44 PM / UPDATED AN HOUR AGO

Coronavirus outbreak grows in northern Italy, 16 cases reported in one day

1 MIN READ

MILAN (Reuters) - An outbreak of coronavirus in northern Italy worsened on Friday, with officials announcing 14 confirmed cases in the wealthy region of Lombardy, while two cases were reported in the adjacent region of Veneto. 

Just hours after revealing that six people had come down with the virus in the first known cases of local transmission in Italy, officials said a further eight had tested positive for the disease, including five health workers. 

Separately, ANSA news agency said two people had been diagnosed as suffering from the highly contagious illness in Veneto, although it was not immediately clear if the cases were connected.  

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-italy-outbreak/coronavirus-outbreak-grows-in-northern-italy-16-cases-reported-in-one-day-idUSKBN20F2GF

Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2020 at 4:11pm
Public spaces across 10 Italian cities have been placed on lockdown, as the first Italian patient succumbed to the illness, amid a spate of new coronavirus cases – bringing the total in the country to 17 infections.

With 15 new cases confirmed on Friday in northern Italy, health authorities have imposed restrictions on some 50,000 people across 10 towns, who have been asked to stay at home and avoid public places, including schools, bars, church gatherings and sporting events.

Five doctors are among the new patients, the first known cases of local transmission of the virus in Italy. None of them are believed to have traveled to China, where the illness first emerged.

https://www.rt.com/news/481442-italy-coronavirus-death-lockdown/

pheasant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pheasant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2020 at 4:27pm
Sorry this is a double post (I posted this on another thread, thought i would share here too.)

Just a heads up:

If you look at South Korea, and right now breaking news Italy, they went from normal to people being "quarantined" in hours. So if you don't have yourself ready, this can sneak up on you.

Take Italy, in just the past couple of hours, 50k people ....I guarantee most were not ready to sip at that moment. The Italian cluster just broke this morning, the extra cases...less than 12 hours later, whole towns are told to stay indoors and not go to gathering places...grocery stores are gathering spaces btw.

Just an example of how quick stuff can slide sideways...Take note peeps
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have friends in Italy, gonna see if i can dig up any info.
The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself......FDR
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2020 at 4:35pm
Thanks!
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2020 at 4:40pm
We've been in a holding pattern for a few days, news quiet,waiting for all those incubators to blossom like a poison flower in Rappaccini's garden. Though we expected this,now we are on a sliippery slope to God knows what. it kind of makes you soul quiver.
cobber View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2020 at 6:22pm
good news Friday strikes again
BeachMama View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeachMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2020 at 7:26pm
Pheasant, you made an excellent point about being ready to SIP at any moment. It seems that China’s full-scale “lockdowns” of entire cities and communities has set a precedent that will be the norm for this pandemic (and I don’t care what WHO says — they’re not my Mama and I’m calling it a pandemic!!!).

I’ve been waiting for my hubby to tell me how much we can afford to put toward our next purchases. Even if it means staying up late tonight, it will be done soon!
BeachMama View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeachMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2020 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by Pixie Pixie wrote:

We've been in a holding pattern for a few days, news quiet,waiting for all those incubators to blossom like a poison flower in Rappaccini's garden. Though we expected this,now we are on a sliippery slope to God knows what. it kind of makes you soul quiver.

My soul has definitely done a lot of quivering today. The statistics from the past two days have been edging me into legitimate anxiety!
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2020 at 7:31pm
Watch Iran explode after elections........
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2020 at 8:51pm
I am as ready as I can be I just need some gas and plywood. I have to get my plywood order ready. That is going to be interesting!
Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2020 at 3:07am

On Saturday, Italian news agency ANSA reported a second death from the virus in the Lombardy region, where Codogno is located. 

It came one day after the death of a 78-year-old retired bricklayer from the Padua area in the nearby Veneto region, who was the first local person in Europe to die from the coronavirus. 

ANSA reported that the new victim was a woman. No further information was immediately available. 

https://timesofmalta.com/articles/view/second-coronavirus-death-in-italy-sparks-fear-and-lockdowns.772853
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2020 at 5:47am
With 5 healthcare workers sick, this one is going to ignite pretty quick.  
https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2020 at 8:20am
Are the healthcare workers just no aware that these people have Covid19 and get exposed or careless or do not have the right PPE when they know these people have Covid19 and get exposed. These are very different but important points. If they are getting it because they are careless or do not have the right PPE that is HUGE!
Flubergasted View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flubergasted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2020 at 8:36am
Well, medical personnel do not always know what is wrong with their patients in an ED when they walk into the room. They might present with a symptom like weakness and shortness of breath. In an older person, they probably innitially think cardiac patient. From there, one staff member can pass it to the next.

In this beginning stage, I think it is probably to be expected. Once community spread is more recognized, we will probably see more careful consideration given to presenting complaints. Another reason to not hide the data.
FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2020 at 9:07am
Yes that is what I figured they did not know if it was the other reason it is worse. I feel sorry for the front medical people they are going to get hit hard if this comes to the U.S. I agree on the data people keep saying it is the old people dying but we have had too many docs and healthcare workers die and they were young.
Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2020 at 9:08am

MILAN, Feb 22 (Reuters) - An outbreak of the new coronavirus has killed two people and infected another 51 in northern Italy, forcing authorities to ban public events and companies to tell workers in affected areas to stay at home.

All those who have tested positive are people who on February 18-19 had contacts with the emergency room and the hospital of Codogno,” Gallera said, adding 259 people had been screened in the area in the past two days and 35 had tested positive.

“A contagion rate of 13% is quite strong,” he said.  The Chinese tourists and an Italian national repatriated from Wuhan were the only three cases in Italy until Friday.

FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2020 at 9:11am
Maybe if they stay on top of it by testing people it will die out...let's hope the tests are good ones not the bad ones.
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2020 at 2:41pm
Perhaps there will always be infections amongst medical workers because if asymptomatic people are completely unaware they have it, they could be visiting friends in hospital, volunteering in hospital, suffering from a sprained ankle and seeking medical attention, going for their flu shot..... the examples are endless. We interact with people all day long. If you thought you were healthy, you could be unwittingly spreading it everywhere you go.
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2020 at 3:03pm
(See below).

As predicted, and completely foreseeable.

Coming soon to a neighborhood near you? I urge you to PREPARE NOW. Once this happens, you are SOL!
==

BNO Newsroom
@BNODesk
·
4m
People will not be allowed to enter or leave areas with outbreaks of coronavirus, and violating this will be a criminal offense.
Quote Tweet

BNO Newsroom
@BNODesk
· 15m
BREAKING: Italy to put areas with outbreaks of coronavirus on lockdown, prime minister says

https://twitter.com/BNODesk
Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2020 at 3:44pm
number of people infected with coronavirus in Italy has gone up to 79, Sputnik reported citing authorities.
Italy reported a rapid rise in coronavirus cases on Saturday after dozens tested positive in two northern regions. In the past two days, 62 coronavirus cases have been registered in Italy.

https://www.aninews.in/news/world/europe/79-people-infected-with-coronavirus-in-italy20200223044301/
Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2020 at 3:17am

MILAN (Reuters) - The number of cases of coronavirus in Italy continued to rise on Sunday after the government passed a series of emergency measures to limit the spread of the outbreak in Europe's most affected country.

The governor of Italy's northern Lombardy region Attilio Fontana said certified cases of the illness in his area had risen to 89 from 54 a day earlier, bringing the total number in the country to more than 100.

In an emergency decree approved late on Saturday, the government adopted special powers to be able to stop people leaving or entering the worst impacted zones. 

The measures were introduced just hours after two people died from the virus in the north of the country.

A spokesman for the governor of the northern region Veneto said on Sunday the number of cases there had risen to 19, seven more than on Saturday.

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/world/2020/02/23/italy-coronavirus-cases-rise-to-more-than-100---lombardy-head

Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2020 at 6:41am

So now we are 130

certified cases of the illness in Lombardy rose to 90 from 54 a day earlier, while in Veneto some 25 people had come down with the virus, including two people in Venice. 

Health officials reported isolated cases in the neighbouring regions of Piedmont and Emilia Romagna, saying the total number of known infections in Italy had risen to above 130. Two elderly people have died in the past 48 hours from the illness. 

The regional governor of Veneto, Luca Zaia, said he had dealt with numerous natural disasters during his long career, including floods and earthquakes. “But this is the absolutely worst problem that Veneto has faced,” he told reporters. 

Almost a dozen towns in Lombardy and Veneto with a combined population of some 50,000 have effectively been placed under quarantine, with locals urged to stay home and special permission needed to enter or leave the designated areas

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-china-health-italy/italy-battles-surging-coronavirus-outbreak-as-cases-rise-over-100-idUKKCN20H0A1?rpc=401&;

pheasant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pheasant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2020 at 6:43am
News
Italy towns wake to quarantine, queue for food in coronavirus outbreak
AFP / Miguel MEDINA Residents wait to be alowed into a supermarket in groups in the small northern Italian town of Casalpusterlengo as the number of COVID-19 cases mounts

Tens of thousands of Italians prepared for a weeks-long quarantine in the country's north on Sunday as nerves began to fray among the locals faced with new lockdown measures.

Two people have died from the virus since Friday and more than a hundred cases have now been reported in Italy, most of them centred around the small town of Codogno, about 70 kilometres (43 miles) southeast of Milan.

Over 50,000 residents in eleven towns -- 10 in Lombardy and one in the neighbouring region of Veneto -- now face what Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said on Saturday could be weeks of lockdown.

Locals wearing facemasks were already lined up outside a supermarket in the town of Castelpusterlengo, a 10 minute drive from Codogno, on Sunday morning.

Shoppers were made to wait, then allowed to enter in groups of 40 inside the store to stock up on provisions.

Although one woman in the crowd downplayed the virus, telling other shoppers it was "not fatal" if properly treated, others were less sanguine.

"It's inhuman," said one man who gave his name as Sante. "Fighting over four sandwiches is just disgusting."

Another woman, Emanuela, told AFP-TV that residents including her were nervous.

"I'm really scared, we're going through a really tough situation," said the woman, a nurse who works in the area.

- Rising infections -

Blockades were not yet erected, and cars could be seen driving in and around the area of Codogno and Casalpusterlengo, although police cars patrolled the area.
AFP / Miguel MEDINA Italian police at the entrance to the northern town of Codogno as the authorities lockdown the area in the hope of halting the spread of COVID-19

It was not clear how authorities would impose the travel restrictions and whether residents would still be allowed to travel from town to town within the affected zones, without surpassing an outer limit.

"We're preparing to set up the checkpoints for the containment zone," a policewoman told AFP, saying that intially the perimeter would be narrow but could widen over time.

"We're about ten criminal police teams here, so nothing related to this kind of situation, but we've been called in from Bologna, Turin and Genoa to give a hand," she added.

For now, the quarantine appears to be largely dependent on individuals to respect the system but the government said those found in violation could face fines and even three months in jail.

The government has also said the army was prepared to step in if needed to enforce the perimeter.

On Sunday, the head of the civil protection department, Angelo Borrelli, said during a press conference that thousands of beds were at the ready in military barracks or hotels to house quarantined or sick individuals, if needed.

The number of those infected with the virus had now grown to 132, including the two people who died, Borrelli said.

https://www.afp.com/en/news/3954/italy-towns-wake-quarantine-queue-food-coronavirus-outbreak-doc-1p81yn2
Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2020 at 9:35am
A third person infected with the coronavirus has died in Italy, a regional official said on Sunday, as the government struggles to contain an outbreak of the illness in the north of the country with more than 130 cases reported since Friday.
Lombardy regional councilor Giulio Gallera told reporters the victim was an elderly woman from the town of Crema, east of Milan, who was also suffering from cancer. Two other elderly patients in northern Italy have died over the past 48 hours.

Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2020 at 10:11am
I believe S. Korea and Italy are both showing a 3% CFR at the moment. A good size jump from the 2% in China. Still hoping it holds at 3% and doesn't increase.
https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2020 at 11:05am
pheasant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pheasant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2020 at 11:21am
How about Iran
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2020 at 12:41pm
The Jump in the CRF may mean the Chinese

Were being a bit economical with the truth.......

Or are they just L.B's..........
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2020 at 12:48pm
Iran confirmed 15 new cases of the new coronavirus, Health Ministry spokesman Kianush Jahanpur said on Sunday, taking the total to 43 with a death toll of eight.

Marcus Aurelius
Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2020 at 1:04pm

has denied entry to a train from Italy on suspicion that two travellers might be infected with the coronavirus, the interior ministry said on Sunday. 

“Tonight a train on its way from Venice to Munich was stopped at the Austrian border,” the interior ministry said. 

The Italian State Railways had informed Austrian train operator OBB that there were two people with fever symptoms on the train, the ministry’s statement said. 

The train was now waiting at the Brenner Pass on Italian territory. “The further procedure is currently being discussed together with the Italian authorities.” 

It is unclear when the train will be able to continue on its journey, an OBB spokesman said.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-italy-austria/austria-stops-train-from-italy-due-to-suspected-coronavirus-infections-idUSKCN20H0RJ

Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2020 at 5:32pm
"This is the regional distribution: 88 cases in Lombardy, 24 in Veneto, 6 in Piedmont, 9 in Emilia Romagna and 2 in Lazio (the pair of Chinese tourists).

There are 80 people hospitalized!

The total number of people who are therefore currently under observation is 129. Of these, 54 are hospitalized with symptoms, 26 in intensive care and 22 in home isolation These are the data that we have recorded in this hour ". 

KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2020 at 10:09pm
There are apparently armed roadblocks preventing people from leaving some towns.
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 5:03am

Five people infected with coronavirus 

coronavirus have died in Italy, officials said on Monday, as the government struggled to contain Europe’s worst outbreak of the virus.

More than 200 people in the country have tested positive for the virus since Friday, the vast majority of them in the wealthy northern regions of Lombardy and Veneto.

Italian media reported that the dead patient was 88 and came from Lombardy.

The southern European country now has the third highest number of confirmed cases of the virus after China and South Korea.

In an effort to stop the spread of virus, authorities in the worst-hit areas of Italy ordered schools, universities, museums and cinemas to be closed, as well as banning all public events.

About a dozen towns, with a combined population of about 50,000, have been placed under effective quarantine in Lombardy, a region that includes Milan.

Similar measures are in place for a town in Veneto, a neighbouring province that contains Venice, which draws millions of tourists to Italy each year.

Lombardy, the region in Italy most badly affected by the virus, announced 53 new coronavirus cases on Sunday night, bringing the total there to 165 in only four days.

The four other deaths were also elderly and at least three of them had serious underlying health problems.

At least 22 people had the virus in Veneto, while a handful of infections were also recorded in the nearby regions of Piedmont and Emilia Romagna.

In the UK, four people who returned to the country from the Diamond Princess cruise ship in Japan on Saturday tested positive for the virus.

Three passengers died while another tested positive at home, despite a negative reading while the ship was quarantined.

The worsening outbreak caused Italian shares to slump by 4 per cent on Monday, leading a sell-off in European stock markets as an increase in the number of coronavirus cases outside China prompted fears of a greater than expected toll on global growth.

Milan shares were on course for their biggest percentage loss since June 2016 as Italy faced the biggest flare-up of coronavirus cases in Europe.

The pan-European STOXX 600 and all the major regional indexes were down by more than 3 per cent.

The euro and British pound dropped as investors sought safety in the US dollar.

Sterling lost most of Friday’s gains on the dollar by Monday morning and the euro weakened by 0.3 per cent to $1.0805, close to last week's level of $1.0778 - a nearly three-year low.

A

https://www.thenational.ae/world/europe/coronavirus-italy-records-fifth-death-as-european-outbreak-worsens-1.983726

Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 9:32am

Seventh person dies in coronavirus outbreak in Italy

A seventh person has died in the coronavirus outbreak in Italy, the Ansa news agency has reported.

Ansa said the latest person to die was an 80-year-old man who had been taken to hospital last week in Lodi after having a heart attack, Reuters reports. Doctors believe he caught the virus there from another patient.

Italy reported its first death from the coronavirus outbreak on Friday.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/feb/24/coronavirus-live-updates-china-wuhan-hubei-latest-news-italy-lombardy-south-korea-iran-japan-cases-infections-death-toll-outbreak-xi-jinping-update?page=with:block-5e53de298f0811db2fafd795#block-5e53de298f0811db2fafd795

Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 4:58am

Italy has confirmed its first case of coronavirus in the south after a holidaymaker from the north fell sick while visiting Sicily with her husband and friends.

The woman, from Bergamo, had travelled to the Sicilian capital of Palermo before her home region of Lombardy was put on lockdown following a surge in cases at the weekend.

But in recent days she began showing flu-like symptoms and went to hospital where she was diagnosed. Guests of the Mercure hotel where she was staying have now been quarantined and tested for the infection.

News that the infection had spread sparked panic-buying in Palermo on Tuesday as shoppers stripped supermarket shelves bare and raided pharmacies for medical supplies. 

Italy confirmed a total of 54 new cases of coronavirus across the country on Tuesday, bringing the total to 283 with seven deaths and one person recovered. The total is the largest outside of Asia. 

Austria and Croatia also confirmed their first cases of the disease, which had been brought over from Italy.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8041467/Coronavirus-spreads-SOUTH-Italy-infected-tourist-north-visits-Sicily.html

Pandemic View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pandemic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 5:31am
Interesting article! Thanks🙏🙏

Of course, we are now faced with new challenges here in the WEST that China had no problem dealing with.

That is, democratic rights and human rights.

It will be interesting to see how the authorities 'up' there directives in the coming days as citizens violate the directive.

Are we witnessing the foothills of autocracy
, to deal with this crisis !????
Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 12:34pm

ROME -- Italy reported a 45% one-day increase in people infected with the coronavirus as other countries in Europe recorded their first cases Tuesday, producing evidence that travelers are carrying the virus from the European outbreak's current epicenter. 

Italian officials reported 11 deaths and 322 confirmed cases of the virus, 100 more than a day earlier. While the majority were concentrated in northern Italy, some of the new cases registered outside the country's two hard-hit regions, including three in Sicily, two in Tuscany and one in Liguria. 

An Italian couple from the afflicted north tested positive in the Canary Islands off Africa, forcing the quarantine of their hotel in what one guest said felt like being “monkeys in a cage.” Austria, Croatia and Switzerland reported their first cases, all in people who recently traveled to Italy

The four new deaths in Italy,like the seven reported earlier, were in patients who were elderly, suffering from other ailments or both, officials said.

Amid increasing cases and distribution problems with protective gear and test kits,Italian Premier Giuseppe Conte defended the measures Italy has taken to contain the outbreak and predicted a stabilizing of numbers soon. But he acknowledged that the rise in cases — the most outside Asia — was “worrisome."

“Obviously I can't say I'm not worried because I don't want anyone to think we're underestimating this emergency," he said before a meeting with a visiting World Health Organization mission. “But we trust that with the measures we've implemented there will be a containing effect in the coming days.”

Italy has closed schools, museums and theaters in the two regions where clusters have formed and troops are enforcing quarantines around 10 towns in Lombardy and the epicenter of the Veneto cluster, Vo'Euganeo.

But Italy hasn't yet identified the source of the outbreak. Angelo Borrelli, the head of the Italian civil protection department, said the increase in cases from 222 to 322, representing a 45% increase, came from people who tested positive for the virus in a 24-hour period from Monday evening to Tuesday evening.

The southern island of Sicily reported its first three positive cases from a woman vacationing from Bergamo, in Lombardy and two others travelling with her. Two cases were also reported in Tuscany, south out of the epicenter.

Spain counted three active cases: a woman in Barcelona who had been in Lombardy in recent days, and a doctor from northern Italy and his partner who were vacationing in Tenerife, in the Canary Islands.

The hotel where the couple was staying, the H10 Adeje Palace was locked down after they tested positive for the virus and 1,000 tourists prevented from leaving the hotel grounds, though they were allowed to circulate outside their rooms and use the hotel facilities.

“We feel a little bit like monkeys in a cage here as there are media representatives present near the hotel and police officers guarding the area are wearing masks,” Harriet Strandvik, the mother in a family of four at the hotel, told Finnish newspaper Ilta-Sanomat. 

Hotel guests were informed of the quarantine via a flyer slipped under their doors late Monday: “Kind guests, we inform you that the hotel is closed for health reasons.'' 

Italians Paolo and Laura Martinelli waited in their room Tuesday for a medical team to take their temperatures. “There’s a beautiful view of the sea which we are watching right now. We don’t feel like recluses,’’ Martelli, 89, told The Associated Press by telephone.

The Canary Islands, an archipelago located around 100 kilometers (60 miles) west of the African coast, is a popular vacation destination that attracts Europeans year-round. Many Italians are vacationing this week as schools have a mid-winter break.

Conte shocked Lombardy officials by taking to task the hospital in Codogno, southeast of Milan, where Italy’s first positive patient went on Feb. 18 with flu-like symptoms. The man was sent home, only to return a short time later with worsening conditions, at which point he was tested for the virus.

Many of Lombardy’s 200-plus positive tests have a traceable connection to the Codogno hospital, including several doctors and nurses, patients and relatives who visited them. 

Conte told reporters that the Lombardy cluster grew “because of the hospital management that wasn’t completely proper according to the protocols that are recommended for these cases."

“This surely contributed to the spread,” he said.

Lombardy’s chief health official, Giulio Gallera, expressed shock at Conte’s remarks and defended the region’s handling of the crisis. 

“It's offensive. It's unacceptable," Gallera said, noting that the man presented none of the main risk factors for the virus — travel to China or contact with an infected person — when he first went to the emergency room.

The man was eventually tested after doctors ascertained from his wife that he had met with someone who had recently returned from China. But officials have excluded that contact as the source of the outbreak since that person tested negative.

As officials worked to get ahead of the spread nationally, the reality of a two-week quarantine was setting in for residents of Italy's isolated “red zones" — the cluster of 10 towns in Lombardy and Veneto's tiny Vo'Euganeo.

“The concern is palpable, people are worried, partly because of what they hear on television, information, on social media," said Davide Passerini, the mayor of Fombio, one of the Lombardy towns under lockdown. “Life is like it is in other isolated villages: Everything is shut, people go out just to do their shopping.”

And they wait to see if they develop symptoms. 

Italy initially tested anyone who came into contact with an infected person. But with the numbers growing and supply issues with test kits, masks and protective gear, Italy's national health system revised its containment strategies.

People who live or have visited the quarantined areas, or who who have been in contact with positive cases, are advised to self-quarantine for two weeks. They are instructed to take their temperatures twice a day, and stay in touch with their doctors or the national health service via an overwhelmed toll-free number. 

Only if they develop symptoms are they tested, most often by a team performing house calls to prevent hospitals and clinics being overly stressed, said Elia Delmiglio, mayor of Casalpusterlengo, another of the 10 towns in Lombardy's “red zone."

“Local health structures are doing their best, but in some cases they were not ready to face such an emergency,” Delmiglio said. 

The town — with more than 15,000 inhabitants — doesn’t have a working emergency room, only a hospital mainly specializing in cancer patients, who are particularly at risk for contracting the virus. 

In another hotbed of the virus outbreak -- Veneto’s tiny town of Vo'Euganeo, which has most of Veneto's 43 cases — local authorities were still planning to test all 3,300 residents and 600 acting hospital staff.

“I’m being optimistic and I feel well," said resident Andrea Casalis, as he waited to be tested. “People continue to go out here and talk in the streets, but we try to keep some security distance.”

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/italy-sees-27-virus-cases-spain-quarantines-hotel-69201703

Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2020 at 3:45am

(ANSA) - Rome, February 26 - Civil Protection Chief Angelo Borrelli said Wednesday that the number of people with the coronavirus to have died in Italy has climbed to 12 while 374 have contracted the deadly virus. Borrelli, who is also extraordinary commissioner for the coronavirus emergency, said the 12th case died in hospital in Piacenza, making him the fist victim in Emilia-Romagna.
    He said he was a 70-year-old man originally from Lombardy who had "important pre-existing" conditions.

Four minors have tested positive for the coronavirus in Lombardy, the northern region's Welfare Councilor Giulio Gallera told private television La7 on Wednesday morning.

http://www.ansa.it/english/news/2020/02/26/coronavirus-12-deaths-in-italy-374-infected_75f1f090-6893-46fa-99cb-44feea920071.html

Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2020 at 2:51pm
Media captionCoronavirus: Five countries, five responses

The number of coronavirus cases in Italy has jumped to 400, amid international efforts to contain the spread of the deadly outbreak.

The rise in Italy, the main focus of infection in Europe, represents a 25% surge in 24 hours.

Several European countries announced new cases traced to Italy.

Also on Wednesday, the World Health Organization said that for the first time the virus was spreading faster outside China, where it originated

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51645902

Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2020 at 3:18pm
Englishhttp://www.w3.org/2000/svg" viewBox="0 0 24 24">
< ="tw-ta tw-text-large goog-" autocapitalize="off" autocomplete="off" id="tw-source-text-ta" placeholder="Enter text" autocorrect="off" rows="1" spellcheck="false" js="focus:tobs.pon;:tobs.pof;tobs.poc" -ved="2ahUKEwj2yoHAq_DnAhXZlnIEHYYdD9QQsaQCMAB6BAgMEAU" lang="it" dir="ltr" style="font-size: 24px; line-height: 28px; : transparent; border: none; padding: 10px 0.14em 10px 0px; : relative; margin-top: -10px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: -10px; resize: none; font-family: inherit; overflow-y: ; overflow-x: auto; text-align: initial; width: calc100% - 48px; top: 0px; : 2; vertical-align: middle; height: 1112px; margin-left: -3px !imant;">
http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" viewBox="0 0 24 24">
(ANSA) - BARI, FEBRUARY 26 - There is the first case of coronavirus positivity in Puglia, the President of the Puglia Region Michele Emiliano reports. It is, reports Emiliano, of a person residing in the province of Taranto seems to come from Codogno in Lombardy, where he had visited, positive for the Coronavirus test. "The patient - Emiliano reports - has been isolated since yesterday at the infectious ward of the Santissima Annunziata hospital in a negative pressure room, was taken from the home where he said he lived alone in an ambulance of 118 dedicated by personnel equipped with the necessary devices of Protection. The course of the flu is regular and uncomplicated. All the people with whom the subject has been in contact after their stay in Codogno will be subjected to a buffer and placed in quarantine in the next few hours according to the protocols envisaged ".

http://www.ansa.it/sito/notizie/topnews/2020/02/26/coronavirus-primo-caso-in-puglia_833a4d87-3373-4112-85aa-6ab918350813.html
Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2020 at 7:37pm

New cases in Liguria, Lombardy, Puglia and Campania, the number of infections rises to 456 According to data updated with the latest news provided by the Regions, there are 456 contagions in 12 regions: 305 in Lombardy, 71 in Veneto, 47 in Emilia Romagna, 16 in Liguria, three in Piedmont, three in Lazio, three in Sicily, three in the Marche, two in Tuscany, one in South Tyrol, one in Puglia.

https://www.repubblica.it/cronaca/2020/02/22/news/coronavirus_in_italia_aggiornamento_ora_per_ora-249241616/

Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2020 at 2:26am

Updated at 3:45 p.m. ET

Italy's number of COVID-19 coronavirus cases spiked by more than 50% in just 24 hours and now stands at 650, the Italian Ministry of Health says, adding that 17 people have died from the respiratory virus. More than 400 of the cases are in the hard-hit Lombardy region, where some towns are under a lockdown. 

Nearly 250 of the people who were infected are currently in the hospital, including 56 patients who are in intensive care, the Italian ministry says, citing a Thursday afternoon update from Angelo Borrelli, commissioner for the coronavirus emergency. Another 284 people who have been infected are in home isolation to try to stop the coronavirus from spreading further.

The outbreak of COVID-19 in Italy led the U.S. State Department to add concerns about the virus to its travel advisory for Italy this week. The advisory stands at Level 2: "exercise increased caution" – one level short of "reconsider travel."

Alarmed by the virus's potential impact on its economy, Italy's government is urging foreign media to reassure people around the world that it's safe to visit Italy.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/02/27/809984502/coronavirus-update-japan-is-closing-all-its-schools-for-a-month

Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2020 at 5:48am
Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2020 at 5:50am
I give up!!!!!!
BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2020 at 7:42am

Terrible timing for website update. Sorry, but true. Lots of broken buttons. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic