Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 5 more coronavirus cases confirmed in New York, br
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

5 more coronavirus cases confirmed in New York, br

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pheasant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 5 more coronavirus cases confirmed in New York, br
    Posted: March 04 2020 at 1:39pm

The proverbial mushroom cloud:

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- Only hours after officials announced four additional confirmed coronavirus cases in New York, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said another five patients have tested positive, bringing the state total to 11.

One new person who had “close proximity” to the second confirmed coronavirus case in New York — a 50-year-old Westchester man who works at a small law firm located only hundreds of feet away from Grand Central Terminal in Manhattan — tested positive for the virus.

Then, the new man’s wife, two sons and daughter also tested positive, Cuomo said. The two children attend Westchester Torah Academy, which will be closed at least until Friday.

The newest cases will trigger a Health Department investigation into further potential close contacts.

This was announced only hours after the 50-year-old man’s neighbor, wife, son and daughter were announced to have the virus.

The schools the 50-year-old Westchester man’s two children attend, SAR Academy and High School in the Bronx and Yeshiva University in Manhattan, have both been shut down until at least Friday, Cuomo said.

Mayor Bill de Blasio said two students at Yeshiva University have met the threshold for testing for the virus; the results of those tests are pending. Seven co-workers at the law firm and one intern are also being tested for the virus at various locations, de Blasio said.

https://www.silive.com/coronavirus/2020/03/5-more-coronavirus-cases-confirmed-in-new-york-bringing-state-total-to-11.html

The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself......FDR
KiminNM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiminNM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 2:26pm

I've said 'oh shit' more times in the last 30 minutes that I have ... well, since yesterday.  

Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 3:15pm

I believe this is in addition to the additional 5. School teacher.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/04/city-teacher-self-quarantines-with-suspected-coronavirus-symptoms/

pheasant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pheasant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 3:30pm

Originally posted by Pixie Pixie wrote:

I believe this is in addition to the additional 5. School teacher.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/04/city-teacher-self-quarantines-with-suspected-coronavirus-symptoms/

wow...just wow

Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 3:44pm

I watched the task force briefing this afternoon and all they say is "the risk is low,the risk is low,"and another tidbit,"wash your hands." Clusters and community spread  are popping up at random locations,probably 1,000's of  walking biohazards,  and just feel like going forward we will be chronically off balance,which will do little  for public confidence.  I would not want to be a late comer to the situation and take their vague statements for guidance.

WitchMisspelled View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 4:43pm

Local news reported tonight that 1,000 people  are now in self-quarantine and being tested from that one case in Westchester.  I thought to myself.. how will they ever trace multiple cases if one man can start a chain reaction that includes 1,000 people? What about the people in transit that he might have infected?  

ksc View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 5:15pm

My sister lives in New Rochelle and said it's XXXXXXXXX mayhem (I've never heard her swear before),  Her son has been contacted by health authorities, he's had contact with someone who has had direct contact with a positive, He's on quarantine "standby", hoping his friend doesn't test positive. What's odd is she's been led to believe if he is required to self quarantine, the rest of the household members will not be required, She thinks they should just quarantine the whole town at this point,

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 6:19pm

Quarantine Standby might be the best news I've heard on this.  Self-quarantine before the contact is know to be infected makes a lot of sense.  A nightmare for your sister to be sure, but sensible!

Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 5:35am
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 5:49am

It just hit me.  This lawyer has been going through Grand Central during rush hours for days if not a couple of weeks before he started showing symptoms.  

I know I pulled the trigger early on social distancing back in January and have been more or less SIP since early February going out only two or three times since then.  Now I'm glad I followed my instincts as extreme as they might have appeared at the time!

KiminNM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiminNM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 5:57am

Originally posted by WitchMisspelled WitchMisspelled wrote:

It just hit me.  This lawyer has been going through Grand Central during rush hours for days if not a couple of weeks before he started showing symptoms.  

I know I pulled the trigger early on social distancing back in January and have been more or less SIP since early February going out only two or three times since then.  Now I'm glad I followed my instincts as extreme as they might have appeared at the time!

Yep. And they're testing employees at his firm, but no mention of all the clients in and out during that time. And I'm sure he took the elevators and pushed the buttons, and went to the restroom, etc etc etc.   And of course all the contacts of all the employees, and the contacts of all the clients... sigh.  It's the opening minutes of Contagion.  

Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 6:39am
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 8:04am

One man in his 40's the other is a woman in her 80's.  Information is thin, but with a man in his 40's in ICU, it might be fair to think the more dangerous variant is in circulation here.  Or an I being too Chicken Little?

pheasant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pheasant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 8:13am

I think your seeing the results of more testing....they waited so long, all these cases have been cooking for weeks.

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 9:16am

Yes, pheasant.  But I'm also looking at ICU cases.  The lawyer, this guy in NJ. The woman in her 80's is completely understandable even if a mild variant.  

Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 9:39am

The lawyer would have been riding the New Haven line,so far Connecticut hasn't had any cases. I would expect to see that change soon.

Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 9:44am
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 11:51am

Yes.  Bringing the total to 22 cases in NY and 24 in the tri-state.  I think this number is only NYC and the tri-state.  But I'm not sure they're counting all of NY.  Weren't there two cases in Western New York reported a week or two ago?

ksc View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ksc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 12:12pm
Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 1:02pm
Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 6:29pm
Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 3:52am
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 5:06am

The Rabbi testing positive is the worst possible news!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic