Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

It may be time to open carry in Virginia - Event Date: April 02 2020 - May 06 2020

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Usk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: It may be time to open carry in Virginia
    Posted: April 16 2020 at 5:17pm

Well over the last two weeks things are going from bad to worse.  While in my car at the bank deposit line angry person in their car got supper angry at teller screamed you stole my money.  Call the police.  A few days later i watched from my car as a car drive quickly up to cart in the drive up pick up lanes a  full of food   Shopping cart and  the  person who owned the food in the carts had just  left the cart. They jumped out and quickly  grabbed the food in the carts and then drove off. WTF

Thorne! View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thorne! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2020 at 6:29pm

Only going to get worse as time goes on. Awfully glad we are on a remote island far, far away from the crowds.

CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2020 at 12:08am

I live south of Tucson, AZ USA, and always carry a loaded sidearm when I leave the house.  We have concealed carry with no permit needed.  

Based on what I'm seeing in other states, I think it is prudent to be armed.  Our conservatives (Republicans, Party of Trump) are agitating to open the economies completely, and when they start dropping like flies from COVID-19 and there is no room in the hospitals, the assault weapons will be drawn. 

This is America, folks: 

https://boingboing.net/2020/04/16/look-at-these-photos-and-video.html

CRS, DrPH
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2020 at 12:14am

We have open carry here in Oklahoma, anyone over 21 can open carry. We always said desperate people do desperate things, especially when they get hungry. In the past 3 weeks or so I have heard of 2 separate incidents of people being mugged for food. One of my coworkers saw 2 younger men taking advantage of an older woman, offering her help with her grocery bags, then they just walked of with her bags of groceries. My coworker is elderly also so she couldn't stop them. Then friend of younger daughter was grocery shopping and was mugged in the parking lot for his canned goods he had just purchased. I have not been to a store in a month except to do a store pick up for an online order. My boyfriend went with me and we went to pick up at 10AM. We didn't have any problems. 

AI View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2020 at 11:52am

Originally posted by CRS, DrPH CRS, DrPH wrote:

I live south of Tucson, AZ USA, and always carry a loaded sidearm when I leave the house.  We have concealed carry with no permit needed.  

Based on what I'm seeing in other states, I think it is prudent to be armed.  Our conservatives (Republicans, Party of Trump) are agitating to open the economies completely, and when they start dropping like flies from COVID-19 and there is no room in the hospitals, the assault weapons will be drawn. 

This is America, folks: 

https://boingboing.net/2020/04/16/look-at-these-photos-and-video.html

Given that statistics show urban areas which are predominantly democratic strongholds experience a much higher rate of homicides and of violent crime per capita than republican rural areas each and every year what you describe is by far more likely in those urban areas's as a propensity towards violence and crime is already established and prevalent.

nc_girl View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nc_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2020 at 2:41pm

Exactly!  The rural areas will have a tendency to help one another not resort to crime.

Those on the right want the country reopened because it's now obvious that this is no worse as far as cfr than seasonal flu.  

A study was published by an Israeli researcher showing that the virus peaks and fizzles out at six weeks no matter which way a country went...I.e. Social distancing or not.  They were surprised with the results but determined the virus is very consistent mathematically in how it spread.

Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2020 at 4:40pm

Originally posted by nc_girl nc_girl wrote:

Those on the right want the country reopened because it's now obvious that this is no worse as far as cfr than seasonal flu.  

I beg to differ.

I can't speak for American states - I don't know the figures in sufficient depth - but I can speak for Britain.

Last season, seasonal flu killed 143 adults over 5 months. Since January the SARS2 virus has killed over 15,000: MORE THAN 100 X THE NUMBER!  In the last 24 hours alone 888 people have died, six times the flu death toll for the entire winter in just 24 hours.  In addition to the colossally greater known death toll, nursing home deaths are uncounted and the real death toll could be as high as double that which is officially quoted.  Finally, seasonal flu puts a few people in ihe ICU for up to a week, coronavirus puts them there for a month, or even more.

I understand that covid19 is killing the American economy.  But if social distancing is halted too early, the economic cost will be even higher.  There is no escaping the economic hit.  There is no way to escape the huge death toll now, the best one can aim for is a huge number of deaths instead of a gargantuan one.  

When all is said and done, economies recover, corpses don't.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/apr/18/more-than-15000-people-have-died-from-covid-19-in-uk

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/coronavirus-uk-live-updates-covid-19-lockdown-a4417671.html

How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
ksc View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2020 at 5:14pm

Ineffective flu vaccine added to 50,000 extra deaths last winter, ONS says

Human suffering and lost lives over winter 'predictable, preventable and shameful', fuel poverty campaigners say

Flu jabs have been changed this year to ensure wider protection
Flu jabs have been changed this year to ensure wider protection ( PA )

The flu vaccine’s failure to protect against some of the key strains of the infection contributed to more than 50,000 “extra” deaths in England and Wales last winter, according to data from the Office of National Statistics.

It was the worst winter on record for more than 40 years, with the 1975-76 season being the last time deaths climbed so high above the expected levels.

The NHS was rocked by a record winter crisis in early 2018, with a massive rise in flu cases and sub-zero temperatures triggered by the Beast from the East storm, which added further to death rates.

Despite protecting against the potentially serious "Aussie flu", officials said in January that the vaccine which had been widely used was not effective against some of the more prevalent strains of the virus affecting the UK.

The impact on death rates was apparent as early as March, when experts warned the government must “urgently investigate” a spike of 10,000 deaths in the first weeks of 2018.

But the ONS data, spanning December to March, shows that this trend continued to rise.

A larger rise has not been seen for 40 years

“The number of excess winter deaths in England and Wales in 2017 to 2018 was the highest recorded since the winter of 1975 to 1976,” said Nick Stripe, from the ONS Health Analysis and Life Events team."

Sponsored Ad

Up next
Who said it?

He added: “It is likely that last winter’s increase was due to the predominant strain of flu, the effectiveness of the influenza vaccine and below average winter temperatures.”

Doctors have warned that the pressures, which carried on into summer and beyond, thanks to a major heatwave, mean the coming winter will be “more challenging than the last”.

NHS at 70: demonstration and celebration march to mark anniversary

Show all 18

This is not helped by the fact that the additional £20.5bn funding pledged to the NHS to help meet rising demand from an ageing population will not begin to reach services until April 2019.

However, early signs suggest the flu season this year will be less severe and the NHS has also adopted a more effective flu vaccine which provides protection against a wider range of influenza.

DAILY CORONAVIRUS BRIEFING

No hype, just the advice and analysis you need

The ONS data shows that deaths were highest in women and those over 85, but that death rates doubled in males under the age of 64 compared with the year before.

Daily death rates exceeded the average across the last five years on every day except the 25 March, the ONS says.

Volume 90%

Support free-thinking journalism and subscribe to Independent Minds

Fuel poverty campaign group National Energy Action said the figures were a tragedy that do not tell the full story of millions of others falling ill and suffering because of damp, cold and inadequate housing.

“Today’s excess winter death figures should be a huge shock to the system,” said NEA chief executive Adam Scorer. “The cost in human suffering and lost lives is a tragedy. The cost to the NHS is significant and largely avoidable.

“Predictable, preventable and shameful. We seem to have accepted excess winter deaths to be as much a part of winter as darker evenings.”

Economists said the figures show the “grim reality” of the flu outbreak, and are particularly concerning as the ONS revealed earlier in 2018 that decades of improvements in life expectancy “ground to a halt” this year.

“This follows some other recent winters when seasonal deaths have been high,” said Dr Veena Raleigh, senior fellow at the King’s Fund. “With an ageing population, the worry is that this could be the start of a trend of periodically high winter deaths.”

“The evidence suggests that stalling life expectancy is due to several factors, including flu-related deaths and a slowdown in improvements in mortality from diseases such as heart attack and stroke.

“National agencies have so far been slow to respond to these disturbing recent trends. Public Health England has been commissioned to investigate the slowdown in life expectancy and it is imperative that their findings are acted upon.”

Promoted stories

Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2020 at 5:31pm

That article was from 2018.

How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic