Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

USA deaths under-reported?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: USA deaths under-reported?
    Posted: July 02 2020 at 12:50am

Originally posted by "BBC Live News" "BBC Live News" wrote:

]

Real US death toll 'may be much higher'

A research team at Yale University has said that the US could be underestimating the true death toll from Covid-19 by as much as 28%.

The team said there had been 781,000 deaths in total in the US during March, April and May - that is 122,300 more than the average for the same period. According to the official data, there were 95,235 Covid-19 deaths  in that time.

"Evaluating unexplained increases in deaths due to all causes or attributed to nonspecific outcomes, such as pneumonia and influenza, can provide a more complete picture of the burden of COVID-19," said the researchers.

They said data on deaths varied significantly between states and that some of the deaths could be attributed to "secondary effects" caused by lockdowns or people being afraid to go to hospitals.

The figures were just an estimate, they said, but concluded that "official tallies likely undercount deaths due to the virus".

Full report here: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/2767980?guestAccessKey=430b6dad-a4ab-42a5-bb2b-9f94c81b10d1&utm_source=For_The_Media&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=ftm_links&utm_content=tfl&utm_term=070120

ksc View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 2:40am

https://townhall.com/columnists/johnrlottjr/2020/05/16/the-us-is-dramatically-overcounting-coronavirus-deaths-n2568925 

The US is Dramatically Overcounting Coronavirus Deaths

But the problem is worse than this broad definition implies. Birx and others believe that the CDC is over counting cases. The Washington Post reports they are concerned that the CDC’s “antiquated” accounting system is double counting cases and inflating mortality and case counts “by as much as 25 percent.” 

There are additional reasons for concern. Some doctors feel pressure from hospitals to list deaths as due to the Coronavirus, even when they don’t believe that is the case, “to make it look a little bit worse than it is.” There are financial incentives that might make a difference for hospitals and doctors. The CARES Act adds a 20 percent premium for COVID-19 Medicare patients. 

EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 5:01am

28% too low, or 25% too high?    How does one deal with this difference?  

There is a problem when there might be multiple factors and how one interprets the relative weight of this. 

Personally, I find that viewing 'excess' deaths shows the over all effect of Corvid.  This is taking a broader view of the total impact on society and it helps me avoid getting into arguments of what should or should not be counted.    I favour this way of looking at the overall effect as it is clear that in many countries the reporting bias is to under count Corvid19 deaths (eg only those tested, or like in Russia only those deaths where Corvid19 is mentioned as the first factor).

Also, maybe I have a pro-science bias, but I would also favour a scientific university study that has been published for peer review over a newspaper saying some "doctor said".

WitchMisspelled View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 5:23am

Under-reporting doesn't surprise me much.  

News vs. Op-Ed.  I'll take news any day. 

I'll also take science over opinion.  Science worked for my state.  We also weren't a bunch of big fat babies and did what we were asked to do.  But I've said it before, NYers are a different breed.  We understand community and that your "civil rights" ends where mine begin.  Including whatever virus you might be shedding.

ksc View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 6:02am

NY has some of the highest numbers in the world. Only time will tell if NY's herd immunity strategy will pay off in the future. 

WitchMisspelled View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 6:31am

Herd Immunity strategy?  What Herd Immunity strategy?  You'd need to explain how NY is going for herd immunity.  

kaye kaye View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaye kaye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2020 at 2:58pm

Originally posted by ksc ksc wrote:

NY has some of the highest numbers in the world. Only time will tell if NY's herd immunity strategy will pay off in the future. 

I didn't realize that was what they were striving to accomplish.  I thought they were just trying to knock off everyone in the care facilities and rest homes.

keep the joy
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2020 at 2:52am

How can you possibly say "herd immunity" 

When we don't even know if you are immune from 

Covid once you have had it, even if you are for how long????

Totally "NOVEL"

virus 

We don't know anything about.....

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
AandEM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandEM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2020 at 12:52pm

I took advantage of the free antibody test offered by the Red Cross with a blood donation.  I teach middle school and had symptoms in March, directly after our last day of face to face instruction.  I had fever, cough, sore throat, and extreme fatigue for two weeks. I tried to get a COVID test at the time,  was refused, but tested negative for flu and strep. I was hopeful to have had antibodies, but results were negative.

CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2020 at 3:11pm

We are drastically under-counting COVID-19 deaths.  Here is why:

a)  I did some of the earliest epidemiological work with Legionnaire's Disease shortly after the organism was identified.  By going back in time and analyzing frozen tissue samples, it turned out that Legionella bacteria actually was causing a great deal of community pneumonia and death, but we weren't picking it up since it is a very hard bug to culture unless you know what you are doing.  People who died from Legionella were simply identified as "pneumonia, cause not determined."  Now we know that Legionella grows in cooling towers, shower heads, fountains etc. and can track outbreaks.  Similarly, many deaths from COVID-19 are not characterized properly, particularly in the early stages of the pandemic.  Assuming they kept tissue/blood samples, a retrospective study will likely show that deaths from COVID-19 were much higher than official numbers. 

b)  COVID-19 kills in myriad ways.  In addition to pulmonary failure, the SARS-CoV2 virus causes kidney failure, strokes and many other lethal conditions.  In some cases, it is killing off people with these pre-existing conditions; in others, it seems to attack healthy people and causes strokes out of the blue.  I'm sure that many mortalities are mis-identified on the death certificates, if there is no specific reason to suspect COVID-19.

c)  I'm not convinced that all of the testing is entirely accurate.  Assuming a certain number of false negatives, cases are likely being undercounted. 

d)  Political forces are pushing for an under-count to protect the stock market.  Nobody talks about this aspect, although Pres. Trump says the virus will go away like a miracle.  

CRS, DrPH
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic