Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Australia update

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roni3470 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Australia update
    Posted: July 06 2020 at 2:08pm

hoping to hear from some of our Australia people on how things are going there.  How is COVID and how are your restrictions going or not going?  Also, when exactly is your flu season?  

NOW is the Season to Know

that Everything you Do

is Sacred
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2020 at 2:15pm

All good on this side of the continent.......

Here in Perth WA

Near normal,

No community transmission,

Any cases we have are returning citizens....

We have done real well....

The eastern states not doing so good, 

We are in our flu season now, or just coming into it, 

I think the uptake of the flu shot, and social distancing,we might have a mild one here,

We are opposite to you, in the northern hemisphere,

so June 25th is the 6 month our winter, 

we just had our winter solstice 

you just had your summer solstice.....

And the bath  water goes down the plughole opposite to yours......lol

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.πŸ––

Marcus Aurelius
roni3470 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roni3470 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2020 at 3:06pm

Please do me a favor and keep us updated on how your flu season goes!  Feel free to private email me on  here or at rockinroni2@yahoo.com

I know we follow you guys in flu season, just wasn't sure when it started.  I am anxious to see how it goes and hope for the best for you! glad to hear you all faired well with COVID.

that Everything you Do

is Sacred
Usk View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Usk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2020 at 4:28pm

Any sign of mutated swine flu? Read in CNBC: https://apple.news/ARubi1pMZShu-ArWFYclrcg

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2020 at 11:19pm

Yes will be interesting to see what happens,

There has been a high 

Flu vaccine uptake this year, 

and with our borders shut, we might not have a flu season......

Not worried about Mutant swine flu.....

At the moment.....

WA is shut....lol

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.πŸ––

Marcus Aurelius
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2020 at 11:27pm

ABC News: Nearly 200 new coronavirus infections recorded in Victoria.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-07/victoria-coronavirus-cases-rise/12428704

Marcus Aurelius
roni3470 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roni3470 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2020 at 12:28pm

thanks for updating us Carbon!  DO you foresee what is happening in other parts coming to your area?

that Everything you Do

is Sacred
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2020 at 2:32pm

85% + of  people want our border kept tight shut.....

(We are the most isolated city in the world)

So I doubt and very much hope we don't see anything like what's happening over in Victoria.......

Perth is one of the most isolated major cities in the world. The nearest city with a population of more than 100,000 is Adelaide, over 2,100 km (1,305 mi) away. Perth is geographically closer to both East Timor (2,800 km or 1,700 mi), and Jakarta, Indonesia (3,000 km or 1,900 mi), than to Sydney (3,300 km or 2,100 mi).
https://en.m.wikipedia.org › wiki

Marcus Aurelius
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2020 at 3:13pm

Just on our news 

Only 525 international arrivals allowed into Western Australia per week....

Then in quarantine for 2 weeks in  hotel under police guard.....

Yes we are taking it seriously.......

Marcus Aurelius
Usk View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Usk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2020 at 4:20pm

Melbourne just went into lock down 6 weeks. Good move!!

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2020 at 4:28pm

Should have never happened....

Heads will roll......

Cost is enormous.....

$1 billion a week.....

Marcus Aurelius
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2020 at 10:41pm

ABC News: Number of returning travellers allowed to enter Australia could be restricted as states carry coronavirus quarantine burden.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-08/scott-morrison-may-reduce-international-arrivals-coronavirus/12433896

Marcus Aurelius
EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2020 at 12:12am

I guess I will have to cross Australia off my list of countries to visit:

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2020 at 3:14am

This could get interesting........

PerthNow: Western Australia’s closed border during coronavirus pandemic goes to Federal Court.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/coronavirus/western-australias-closed-border-during-coronavirus-pandemic-goes-to-federal-court-ng-b881602721z

Marcus Aurelius
Usk View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Usk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2020 at 4:35am

Edwin nice pic for thread on laughs

cobber View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2020 at 6:49am

Melbourne is ran by a complete idiot.

Leftist idiot! Dan Andrews.

He turned down assistance from the military when they were struggling. NOW WE HAVE A PROBLEM!!

This is the same idiot did a "belt and road" deal with the Chinese communist party.

That's the state of affairs

Usk View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Usk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2020 at 10:46am

So sad for you

roni3470 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roni3470 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2020 at 1:42pm

ugh.....I swear, all of humanity has just gone mad!  the US is not doing well at all!

that Everything you Do

is Sacred
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2020 at 2:36pm

Hey Cobber,

One of my Clients, is an out and out Liberal,

He said the other day he would vote for McGowen (Labor),because of his handling of this pandemic.....

I said can I have that in writing....lol

What's the odds we have a "Royal Commission"......

Marcus Aurelius
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2020 at 5:28pm

Those poor people locked into that tower block in Melbourne. I'm sure that's illegal. We saw them on the news last night. 

Here in NZ, we've had to stop selling plane tickets to returning kiwis because so many are trying to come in, we can't quarantine them all. Every week increasing numbers are trying to relocate to live back here and they are estimating up to 1 million Kiwis live overseas, and our population back home is only 5 million. Can you imagine the pressure that would put on housing stock and rental stock if they all came home? 

No new tickets will be sold for 3 weeks, and people who already have them may be bumped off flights if quarantine spaces are not available for them.

Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2020 at 2:21am

The sort of action that Australia and New Zealand are bringing in to slow the intake of returning citizens to the capacity of the quarantine centres sounds reasonable, but I know that here it would fall foul of the law here, where the Finnish Constitutional law guarantees the right of all citizens to return to their home country.  

The current closed boarder between Sweden and Finland is actually open for any returning Finnish citizens.  This has also lead to a lot of people with Swedish passports who now work in Finland to take out Finnish citizenship [reversing some of the mass exodus westward in the aftermath of WWII (and all the war payments to USSR].

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2020 at 2:57am

ABC News: The Melbourne school at the centre of one of Australia's biggest coronavirus clusters.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-09/al-taqwa-college-coronavirus-covid19-cluster-melbourne-truganina/12437584

Marcus Aurelius
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2020 at 4:21pm

ABC News: WA tightens rules for arrivals from Victoria amid worsening coronavirus outbreak.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-09/mandatory-covid-testing-for-vic-arrivals-into-wa-amid-outbreak/12438012

Marcus Aurelius
roni3470 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roni3470 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2020 at 4:39pm

Crap!  Things have gotten worse in the US today too with 3 states reporting highest death rate since the start.  News reporters local and national, the board of directors, etc. all doing virtual work and calls yet they are planning the kids return to school.  Its nuts here right now!  Did you see the new outbreak in China?  that sure resembles the 1918 second wave.  Ugh...

that Everything you Do

is Sacred
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2020 at 4:59pm

I'm in Oklahoma, one of the state's getting worse, also one of the state's that opened early. People here aren't wearing masks, saying it takes away their rights,  blah, blah, blah, it's ridiculous. So we just keep getting worse and worse. 

roni3470 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roni3470 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2020 at 7:39pm

Hey Pen!  Yes, here too.  Our governor just said he wasn't putting a state wide mask law into effect just yet because we have been doing well but we are starting to trend bad.  Well on his post a bunch of people said they will NOT have someone tell them what they are and are not allowed to do and will not wear a mask in public.  Half of Americans are convinced this is some kind of political conspiracy so refuse to wear masks.  Whats it going to hurt to be on the safe side?  I just don't get it!

that Everything you Do

is Sacred
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2020 at 8:54pm

I have to, the experience here is totally different,

Even though we have had no community transmission,people still socially distancing 

Some peeps wear masks,no one says anything.....

On pubic transport everyone sits/stands  with good space between,i even seen a lady ask a guy if it was OK to sit next to him as there was no spare seats.

I'm actually very proud of my fellow

West AUSSIES...

Marcus Aurelius
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2020 at 10:57pm

Marcus Aurelius
Willimczik View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willimczik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2020 at 6:32pm
 Posted: July 06 2020 at 2:15pm

All good on this side of the continent.......

Here in Perth WA

Near normal,

No community transmission,

Any cases we have are returning citizens....

We have done real well....

It means my theory is right!

Sniffing petrol kills all viruses.

q.e.d.

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2020 at 7:19pm

Telegraph.co.uk: A postcard from Perth, where Covid-19 doesn't exist.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/oceania/australia/articles/perth-australia-no-covid/

Marcus Aurelius
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2020 at 10:30pm

Originally posted by EdwinSm, EdwinSm, wrote:

The sort of action that Australia and New Zealand are bringing in to slow the intake of returning citizens to the capacity of the quarantine centres sounds reasonable, but I know that here it would fall foul of the law here, where the Finnish Constitutional law guarantees the right of all citizens to return to their home country.  

The current closed boarder between Sweden and Finland is actually open for any returning Finnish citizens.  This has also lead to a lot of people with Swedish passports who now work in Finland to take out Finnish citizenship [reversing some of the mass exodus westward in the aftermath of WWII (and all the war payments to USSR].

Here in NZ, any Kiwi citizen can return from overseas, but no one else. The problem we're having is that as the rest of the world gets worse, more and more kiwis are wanting to come home and in greater numbers than our guarded quaratine can handle. So far 30,000 have returned and we can quarantine 6,700 at a time under the watch of the Army.  So now they are being limited and allowed in when there is a quarantine space allocated to them. 

Unfortunately the huge numbers mean that non citizens or permanent residents can't come in except under special license. So even if you have a valid work visa, you can't come in. Preference is being given to Kiwis, and rightly so. Exceptions are being made but very rarely. A number of film crews have arrived and the Americas Cup teams are coming in but all these are chartering their own planes and paying for their quarantine and are highly motivated to quarantine properly. 

Almost every night we hear of people with work visas being stuck overseas and still paying rent here but they were out of the country when the lockdown began. I have no sympathy for them. There was plenty of warning and only an idiot would have gone overseas at the beginning of March, which is when these people went on holiday. Obviously they had it booked in advance and had paid for it and didn't want to lose their money but they are paying a very high price now for that stupidity.

We've caught 25 cases at the border in the last 3 weeks, and all of them are now in isolation until cleared of the virus. We currently have no cases on the streets so we're not social distancing at all but living life as normal except we can't fly overseas. It's not surprising that all these Kiwis want to come home to normality. That, plus it's great being a KIwi and living here!!!

Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2020 at 2:32am

Yes Kiwimum, You very lucky living in such a beautiful place, 

We lived it when we visited,

Lake Tekapo,

fantastic.....

I'd move there tomorrow... ..

Mind we live in in a Great place..... 

Marcus Aurelius
roni3470 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roni3470 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2020 at 7:29am

Carbon, I wasn't able to read that article because you have to subscribe to read it:(

that Everything you Do

is Sacred
EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2020 at 7:55am

Originally posted by KiwiMum KiwiMum wrote:

We currently have no cases on the streets so we're not social distancing at all but living life as normal except we can't fly overseas. 

How apt. A Kiwi is a bird that cannot fly.   

I am glad for you that so much is returning to normal.

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2020 at 2:27pm

Originally posted by roni3470 roni3470 wrote:

Carbon, I wasn't able to read that article because you have to subscribe to read it:(

It was just saying how well we've done over here......

Our "isolation"

is the key.....

Let's just hope we keep our borders sealed......

(it was a post  to the snide remark made by someone  about petrol sniffing) I stayed polite...πŸ€—

Obviously  another fool.....

Chump supporter ....

Marcus Aurelius
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2020 at 2:51pm

ABC News: Expert highlights key differences in Melbourne and Sydney coronavirus clusters as NSW works to avoid second lockdown.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-14/coronavirus-clusters-melbourne-sydney-as-second-lockdown-looms/12449730

Marcus Aurelius
roni3470 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roni3470 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 1:46pm

Gotcha.  As I am sitting here reading todays updates, they just said on the news that a man in Utah died while in line in his car to get a COVID test.  That is messed up!  In the US our testing is now at a 7-9 day delay.  So these people are going about their business for 7-9 days until they get their test results, potentially infecting others if they are positive.  Really worried about the US!

that Everything you Do

is Sacred
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2020 at 5:46pm

ABC News: Analysis: We're left in an impossible position as two opposing positions emerge in Australia.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-18/coronavirus-in-nsw-victoria-shows-fracture-in-national-response/12468300

Marcus Aurelius
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2020 at 8:46pm

😊

Marcus Aurelius
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2020 at 3:57pm

Herald Sun: Medical experts call for stage four restrictions as Victoria records 428 new cases, three more deaths.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/coronavirus/lockeddown-victorians-to-pay-if-they-stray-from-home/news-story/f65b0276d7e0c8cbe614de357060ef3b

Marcus Aurelius
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2020 at 4:01pm

Things go pear shaped quick......

Marcus Aurelius
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2020 at 10:03pm

So Perth: Derby Beers For Mark McGowan At The Start Of The 3rd Quarter.

https://soperth.com.au/derby-beers-for-mark-mcgowan-41716

Marcus Aurelius
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2020 at 12:52am

Wow that happened quickly. The trouble is that a proportion of Australians (the younger sector of society) are just not taking it seriously. When we were all at home under level 4 restrictions, on our news we were watching you guys fighting it too but instead of empty beaches, they were packed. The young might not get the symptoms in the main, but they pass it on. 

I really don't know what you can do other than get really draconian with enforcing a complete lockdown, and arrest anyone who doesn't comply. It's a bugger of a situation.

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2020 at 2:06am

SBS News: 'It's ludicrous': The stranded Australians who now have to pay thousands for hotel quarantine to come home.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/it-s-ludicrous-the-stranded-australians-who-now-have-to-pay-thousands-for-hotel-quarantine-to-come-home

Marcus Aurelius
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2020 at 2:10am

I know the more we see over here the more we want our borders kept strict......

Marcus Aurelius
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic