Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

M8.1 earthquake NZ

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M8.1 earthquake NZ
    Posted: March 04 2021 at 1:36pm

[url]https://www.rt.com/news/517241-earthquake-tsunami-warning-new-zealand-hawaii/[/url] or https://www.rt.com/news/517241-earthquake-tsunami-warning-new-zealand-hawaii/American Samoa has been placed under a tsunami warning and Hawaii on a tsunami watch after an 8.1 magnitude earthquake was registered in the Kermadec Islands, north of New Zealand.

DJ-A lot of seismic activity-there will be aftershocks.

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
~Albert Einstein
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 1:59pm

I'm in the South Island and we were woken by the 2.30am one. Right now, in the North Island, a number of the coastal communities have been evacuated for fear of tsunamis. No all clear has been sounded yet.

Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 3:17pm

That's a big quake.....

Stay safe KiwiMum....

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
Dutch Josh View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 9:45pm
We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
~Albert Einstein
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2021 at 1:02pm

Originally posted by carbon20 carbon20 wrote:

That's a big quake.....

Stay safe KiwiMum....

Thanks Carbon. It was a good shake at 2.30am. It woke us up. Personally I love a good earthquake - but I have the luxury of living in a very earthquake proof home - and it's not politically correct to admit that you enjoy them. I always marvel at the immense power of mother nature to move an entire landmass. We had a local quake last week that I heard as well as felt. It was a good big bang. The Christchurch quakes were 10 years ago and we had thousands of them. I live just north of Chch, and some of those you could hear coming at you across the land before it hit. It's pretty awesome stuff. 

I had one of my beehives open on the morning of the quake that killed 185 people and the bees were behaving really strangely. So strangely that I did my work asap and shut up the hive, and I mentioned their strange behaviour to hubby just before he drove into the city. He was there at the time of the quake, in a meeting, but thankfully it was an outdoor meeting because the weather was so fine. He was ok, but said it was very hard to stay on his feet.

Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2021 at 3:59pm

I love the outdoors,love climbing mountains,walking ,

I too marvel at this wonderful planet, marvel as you say at nature's enormous power,

I can relate to you liking a Quake,

I always go walking in a thunderstorm,went climbing mostly in the snow,at home in a howling wind.....

Love standing on a beach in a storm, crashing waves.....

We humans are really insignificant,in the great scheme of things,

Just look at us trying to do battle with something that can only be seen through a very strong microscope.....

Just remember this saying from the late great Clive James.....

"No-one gets out of this life alive"

Brings a smile to my face everytime I think if it......

Take very good care all 😷😉

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2021 at 4:26pm

We spend too much time worrying about things that are beyond our control. Right now, my youngest son is spending the weekend at an alpine lake up in the Southern Alps with a group of hardy scouts. He asked me what would happen if the Alpine Fault ruptured while he was up there. I pointed out to him the 3 major geological hazards in his immediate vicinity (1. rock fall - don't camp under a cliff, 2. overspilling waves from the lake in an extended quake - don't camp right next to the lake, and 3. rock falls into the lake or submarine landslips generating a tsunami - in the event of a big quake, put on your trainers and run far away from the water.) 

Once we'd covered all the basics, he was fine. As I pointed out to him, at least they were all equipped for survival and if they had to walk home they had all the gear they'd need and more. He went off happily vowing to sleep with a torch next to his bed and his trainers neatly by his tent door. He'll be fine. We can't put life on hold because we're fearful of things that might never happen.

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2021 at 6:27pm

Wife and I were in South island,a few years ago......

You have some massive lakes....so  lovely,that lake going up to Edmund Hillary  centre is magnificent....and Wanaka fantastic....

Marcus Aurelius
Dutch Josh View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 12:48pm

[url]http://www.thebigwobble.org/2021/03/we-are-still-waiting-for-big-one-with.html[/url] or http://www.thebigwobble.org/2021/03/we-are-still-waiting-for-big-one-with.html ;In the first 67 days of 2021, the eastern margin of the Australia plate which is dominating this year's seismic activity has recorded 900 quakes above mag 4 and 27 of them have been mag 6 or higher which is quite incredible. 

DJ-Of course "aftershocks" are only "after-shock" till the next major quake...see also [url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seismic_wave[/url] or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seismic_wave 

~Albert Einstein
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic