Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

USA: more people in hospital than last August

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: USA: more people in hospital than last August
    Posted: August 26 2021 at 1:56am

CNN: With more than 100,000 people in the hospital with Covid-19 in the US, this August is worse than last, expert says.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/26/health/us-coronavirus-thursday/index.html

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.πŸ––

Marcus Aurelius
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2021 at 1:58am

So my question is ,all them CHUMP supporters who said it would be over after the election.....

WHERE ARE YOU NOW ????!!!!!

LMFAO

take care all πŸ˜·πŸ˜‰πŸ’‰

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.πŸ––

Marcus Aurelius
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2021 at 2:52pm

The Associated Press: Virus surge breaks hospital records amid rising toll on kids.

https://apnews.com/1766777633776b9490d1db6879cfb6ce

Marcus Aurelius
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2021 at 11:43pm

And I read yesterday that there is a shortage of medical staff in the US as both nurses and doctors were told they must be vaccinated or they'd lose their jobs. A significant number have chosen not to get vaccinated and so have been sacked, but also a sizeable number have chosen to take early retirement and have left. This has left a large shortfall, just as the hospitals are getting overwhelmed. 

This article below is about the 150 staff who were fired from Houston Medical Hospital.

https://fee.org/articles/massive-nurse-shortage-hits-houston-weeks-after-150-unvaccinated-nurses-and-hospital-workers-fired/

Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2021 at 12:32am

Quote Ron DeSantis' order .... is unconstitutional. 

The judge also cited historical Florida Supreme Court cases that found that individual rights are limited when they have an impact on others. 

"We don't have a right to go into a crowded theatre and yell fire because we decided it's our right to do that," the judge said. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-58361214

I am sure the legal battle will continue as more and more people die.

KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2021 at 12:46am

I think what the authorities hadn't factored in was people deciding that they would leave their jobs. Undoubtedly someone would good intentions thought we'll mandate vaccinations and then all health care workers will get one, and they didn't consider the people who would rather stop working than get one. I think the mandate was introduced with good intentions but was just not thought through enough. 

It's a little bit like the shortage of truck drivers in the UK. During the 18 months of Covid restrictions, all driving lessons were cancelled and this included HGV drivers. And apparently about 70,000 truck drivers took retirement during that time and there are no younger replacements for them, hence the shortfall now. No one thought through the implications. Of course, hindsight is a wonderful thing............

Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Dutch Josh View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2021 at 2:21am

Here in NL also a lot of health care workers may stop working-without mandatory vaccinations. 

Low pay, high risk, long hours, hard to combinate with a private life-but also the older HCW-ers may see retirement or sick leave...

This pandemic-worldwide-did put to much pressure at health care. Governments do not deal with the problems it is causing. A lot of HCW-ers are exhausted, frustrated, some even broken with PTSD, depression...

While they were fighting to save lives in the hospital, governments reopened creating yet another wave...

Healthcare has become an impossible job this way !

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
~Albert Einstein
ViQueen24 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ViQueen24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2021 at 8:40am

This is why healthcare workers are quitting:

https://slate.com/technology/2021/08/alabama-covid-delta-icu-birmingham-hospital.html?via=rss

And, I can't speak for other countries, but here in the States, we are experiencing "the Great Resignation," where people en masse are re-training and leaving their service-oriented jobs for other kinds of jobs.  I was furloughed last year after 23 years at the same place, and I am re-training and getting into something different.  Because my body is beat up after years of being on my feet, hurrying around, moving things and cleaning behind and under them, and carrying cases of this and that, and my spirit is battered from being "that thing that gets the coffee and food" to one group of people, and "that thing that works in our restaurant from 3-11, four or five days a week" to the other group.  There's alot of that going around, here, and perhaps elsewhere.  I think we'll be seeing more of the same many places for quite some time till we're finished reshuffling.  I definitely would not credit vaccination with the shift.  The seeds were planted long before this pandemic, and it, and vaxxing, are only catalysts.

I am the DZ Queen, and I approve this message.
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2021 at 3:54pm

I can well understand health workers quitting,

If folk are not bothering to care for themselves and others ( not getting vaccinated or wearing a mask)why should healthcare workers put their lives on the line!!!!!

We are living in very interesting times.........

Climate change, pandemic, lockdowns terrorism......Wars.....

Very interesting indeed.....

Take care all πŸ˜·πŸ˜‰πŸ’‰

Marcus Aurelius
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2021 at 12:10am

Marcus Aurelius
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2021 at 4:49pm

DW (English): Philippines: Nurses threaten mass resignation amid COVID surge.

https://dw.com/p/3zg0w?maca=en-gk-volltext-newsstand-world-en-10745-xml-googlenews

Marcus Aurelius
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2021 at 3:23am

Associated Press: T πŸ˜‰

Sorry link goes somewhere else....

Marcus Aurelius
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2021 at 4:32am

Marcus Aurelius
EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2021 at 6:52am

With the comments in the last link about most cases in ICU  being previously both healthy and UN-vaccinated help sway some people, or are the lines so ideologically drawn that to now get a jab is akin to apostasy?  

I also noticed the reference to health care workers having quitted their jobs.  Is the worse still to come, not because the next wave is worse, but because the health systems can no longer cope with fewer staff?

ViQueen24 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ViQueen24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2021 at 8:06am

Wish I could see the article, Edwin, but it's stuck behind a paywall.

I believe the answer to your second question is yes.

I am the DZ Queen, and I approve this message.
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2021 at 2:14pm

Originally posted by EdwinSm, EdwinSm, wrote:

I also noticed the reference to health care workers having quitted their jobs.  Is the worse still to come, not because the next wave is worse, but because the health systems can no longer cope with fewer staff?

It's about time that health care workers were paid a decent wage. Society is reaping what's it's sown. You seriously can't expect people to work long and anti social hours in a dangerous and stressful environment and all on a barely liveable wage. I'm not surprised we're seeing nurses taking early retirement and switching careers. Standing on your doorstep and clapping for the NHS staff (in England) in lieu of a decent payrise is fairly insulting. 

What they should do is to link all health care workers salaries to those of politicians. And every time the politicians get a pay rise, the HCW get an equal one. That would sort the problem out quickly.

It's another example of a female dominated workplace that is underpaid.

KiminNM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiminNM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2021 at 10:04am

Originally posted by ViQueen24 ViQueen24 wrote:

Wish I could see the article, Edwin, but it's stuck behind a paywall.

I believe the answer to your second question is yes.

ViQueen24 - I'm late to this thread, but here's the text of the post. Also, to your previous comment: I ended up in retail management when I moved to New Mexico (after years in the software industry in California). Employees are treated like they're disposable. Just like all other service workers. I don't blame anyone in the service industry for finally having had enough. I did my best to treat my employees like people, and ended up despised by most of my senior management because of it.

Okay, here's the washington post article

BOISE, Idaho — The intensive care rooms at St. Luke’s Boise Medical Center are full, each a blinking jungle of tubes, wires and mechanical breathing machines. The patients nestled inside are a lot alike: All unvaccinated, mostly middle-aged or younger, reliant on life support and locked in a silent struggle against COVID-19.

But watch for a moment, and glimpses of who they were before the coronavirus become clear.

Artfully inked tattoos cover the tanned forearm of a man in his 30s. An expectant mother’s slightly swollen belly is briefly revealed as a nurse adjusts her position. The young woman is five months pregnant and hooked to a breathing machine.

Down the hall, another pregnant woman, just 24 and on a ventilator, is lying prone — on top of her developing fetus — to get more air into her ravaged lungs.

Idaho hit a grim COVID-19 trifecta this week, reaching record numbers of emergency room visits, hospitalizations and ICU patients. Medical experts say the deeply conservative state will likely see 30,000 new infections a week by mid-September.

With a critical shortage of hospital beds and staff and one of the nation’s lowest vaccination rates, Idaho health providers are growing desperate and preparing to follow crisis standards of care, which call for giving scarce resources to patients most likely to survive.

St. Luke’s Boise Medical Center invited The Associated Press into its restricted ICUs this week in hopes that sharing the dire reality would prompt people to change their behavior.

“There is so much loss here, and so much of it is preventable. I’m not just talking about loss of life. Ultimately, it’s like loss of hope,” said Dr. Jim Souza, chief medical officer. “When the vaccines came out in December, those of us in health care were like, ‘Oh, my God, it’s like the cavalry coming over the hill.’ ... To see now what’s playing out? It’s all so needless.”

Inside the ICUs, Kristen Connelly and fellow nurses frequently gather to turn over each patient, careful to avoid disconnecting the tangle of tubes and wires keeping them alive. With breathing tubes, feeding tubes and half a dozen hanging bags of medications intended to halt a cascade of organ damage, turning a patient is a dangerous but necessary endeavor that happens twice a day.

When Idaho’s hospitals were nearly overwhelmed with coronavirus patients last winter, Connelly wasn’t fazed, believing she could make a difference. Now, instead of focusing on one patient at a time, she cares for multiple. Many colleagues have quit, burned out by the relentless demands of the pandemic.

“At this point, I’m overwhelmed. I don’t have much left,” the 26-year ICU nursing veteran said Tuesday.

Connelly’s own life is in triage mode as she tries to maintain her last reservoirs of energy. She doesn’t eat at home anymore and has cut out all activities except for walking her dog. Her normally deep sense of compassion — which Connelly considers a critical job skill — has been shadowed by a seething anger she can’t shake.

“We had a mother-daughter team in the hospital last week, and the mother died and the daughter was still here,” Connelly said. “In that moment, I had a reprieve from the anger, because I got to be just overwhelmed with sadness.”

“It’s devastating,” she said. “Where we are right now is avoidable — we didn’t have to go here.”

All of the ICU coronavirus patients were generally healthy people who simply didn’t get vaccinated, Dr. Bill Dittrich said. Idaho could enact crisis care standards in days, leaving him to make gut-wrenching decisions about who gets life-saving treatment.

“I don’t think anybody will ever be ready to have the kinds of conversations and make the kinds of decisions that we’re concerned we’re going to have to be making in the next several weeks. I’m really terrified,” Dittrich said.

Most of the ICU patients fell prey to con artists before they fell ill with the virus, said Souza, the chief medical officer. He points to a patient who first tried the anti-parasite drug ivermectin. U.S. health officials have warned it should not be used to treat COVID-19. The man, in his 50s, refused standard medical treatments until he became so sick he needed to be hospitalized.

“What we’re left with is organ supportive therapy. Misinformation is hurting people and killing people,” Souza said.

What the science is clear on? Vaccines, he said. “We don’t have any vaccinated patients here.”

In deep-red Idaho, however, vaccinations, masks and nearly anything related to the coronavirus marks a de facto borderline between more traditional Republicans and the far-right.

Republican Gov. Brad Little urged residents this week to show love for their neighbors by getting vaccinated and announced he was using federal programs and mobilizing the Idaho National Guard to bring in hundreds of additional health care workers. In response, Lt. Gov. Janice McGeachin called the statement “shameful.”

McGeachin, who is running against Little in the Republican gubernatorial primary and has tried to bar schools and cities from enacting mask rules, said people should make their “own health choices.”

The rift exists at the local level, too. Ada County commissioners voted to nominate a local pathologist to a regional public health board who has referred to COVID-19 vaccines as “needle rape” and the “clot shot.” Dr. Ryan Cole’s appointment still depends on votes by other county leaders.

Even families who have witnessed the trauma of COVID-19 firsthand are on opposite sides.

Lisa Owens’ 48-year-old stepbrother, Jeff Scott, has been in the Boise hospital’s ICU since early August.

“My kids call him the ‘Candy Man’ because he always brings candy when he comes,” Owens said. “He really is this kind, loving, jovial person, and I wish with all my heart that he’d gotten vaccinated.”

She’s vaccinated, along with about half of her extended family. But Scott, their aunt and uncle, Scott’s daughter and a few others are not. Her stepbrother likely caught COVID-19 from the aunt and uncle, Owens said. The aunt was hospitalized — she developed blood clots from the virus — but has since recovered.

If anything, those experiences entrenched other relatives in their anti-vaccination beliefs, Owens said.

“Sure, they see Jeff in the hospital, but they also see his aunt and uncle, and they’re OK. The last update we had is even if he does recover, he’s looking at eight months of rehab,” she said. “If he pulls through, I’m going to march him into the nearest vaccine clinic myself.”

Owens fears her stepbrother may be taken off life support if someone with a better chance of survival needs the bed.

“I don’t even want to think about it. ... I mean, he’s been in there for a month. If it comes to crisis standards of care, they’re going to say he’s not showing enough improvement, because he’s not,” she said, fighting back tears. “I hope he pulls through it.”

___

This story has been updated to correct the last name of the man in the ICU. He is Jeff Scott, not Jeff Owens.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic