Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Omicron news - good or bad?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Omicron news - good or bad?
    Posted: December 07 2021 at 12:38pm

This has appeared in the British press. It certainly shows how quickly it can spread. 120 people caught it from just one infected person, and 50 of those were in a seperate room, but all so far have had a mild illness. Hopefully it'll stay that way. But scary at how easily it spreads. Although I did wonder if the patient zero in this case might be a superspreader (ie have an unusually high viral load)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10283743/120-partygoers-caught-Omicron-super-strain-Norwegian-Xmas-work-night-MILD-symptoms.html

Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2021 at 12:52pm

What is interesting is that the article said that all the attendees to this party were vaccinated and had to present a negative test on entry. So the woman who was affected must have had to have had an negative test as well. I wonder, therefore, if she had the B2 strain that Pixie has mentioned in another thread as being invisible in PCR tests?

Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Littlesmile View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Littlesmile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2021 at 2:03pm

It is scary how fast it spreads! I was thinking the other day about one of the first cruise ships, this now is a different level compared.

:-)
A-I View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A-I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2021 at 3:05pm

That is interesting that 70 out of a 100 employees of Scatec at that party were infected and were all  vaxxed.  Pretty much answers the question as to if the current batch of vaxx prevents infection from Omnicron and subsequently if the vaxxed can also spread Omnicron as it was a vaccinated coworker who is thought to be patient zero leading to those 70 infections and possibly 120 total infections. Makes you wonder what the RO of Omnicron is like over 100????? 

"Facts don't care about your feelings" I'M A UNVAXXED DEVIL so kiss my rebel ass.
ksc View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2021 at 3:17pm

"I wonder, therefore, if she had the B2 strain that Pixie has mentioned in another thread as being invisible in PCR tests?"

That's not what the article said.

"The variant is still detected as coronavirus by all the usual tests, and can be identified as the Omicron variant through genomic testing, but probable cases are not flagged up by routine PCR tests that give quicker results. "

KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2021 at 3:41pm

Originally posted by ksc ksc wrote:

"I wonder, therefore, if she had the B2 strain that Pixie has mentioned in another thread as being invisible in PCR tests?"

"The variant is still detected as coronavirus by all the usual tests, and can be identified as the Omicron variant through genomic testing, but probable cases are not flagged up by routine PCR tests that give quicker results. "

Yes that's how I read it. What I was asking is how come she was able to provide a negative test in order to go the party? That's strange isn't it? You'd think if she had a high enough viral load to transmit is it so extensively, that she would also have enough to trigger a positive lateral flow test.  So what happened?

Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2021 at 3:51pm

What are we seeing delta or omicron? Whatever it is highly transmissible. In short order this will a hodgepodge of huge proportions.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-59561876

68 infected a Xmas party Spain

These two clusters are 100 miles apart in Ontario

https://globalnews.ca/news/8428621/omicron-london-covid-cluster-mlhu/

The health unit announced Monday that it received word Sunday night that two of the 30 cases screened positive for S gene target failure, which is a marker for the Omicron variant. 

Public health officials say they continue to investigate the cases that have been linked to the arrival of two travellers from Nigeria, who arrived in London in late-November.

The cluster is linked to several schools and child-care centres. 

The cluster is also linked to an outbreak at God’s Favourite House, a church on Dearness Drive.

“The number of high-risk close contacts continues to increase and is expected to exceed 100,” the health unit said in a statement.

Possible omicron in 2nd cluster

https://thecanadian.news/2021/12/06/over-40-infected-with-covid-at-kingsville-restaurant/

As of Monday morning, 42 of the approximately 75 people present at the Elite Restaurant (20-22 Main St. W.) between November 18 and December 2 tested positive. The outbreak, which originated from a single social gathering on November 18, prompted a high-risk public exposure notice from the health unit

ksc View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2021 at 3:55pm

Originally posted by KiwiMum KiwiMum wrote:

Originally posted by ksc ksc wrote:

"The variant is still detected as coronavirus by all the usual tests, and can be identified as the Omicron variant through genomic testing, but probable cases are not flagged up by routine PCR tests that give quicker results. "

Yes that's how I read it. What I was asking is how come she was able to provide a negative test in order to go the party? That's strange isn't it? You'd think if she had a high enough viral load to transmit is it so extensively, that she would also have enough to trigger a positive lateral flow test.  So what happened?

That's what company officials reported but whether the tests were actually produced is unknown. 

I just attended a wedding that required "proof of vaccination" but I was never asked to produce my card.

Remember too that these tests are prone to errors. 

KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2021 at 3:59pm

Originally posted by Pixie Pixie wrote:

What are we seeing delta or omicron? Whatever it is highly transmissible. In short order this will a hodgepodge of huge proportions.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-59561876

68 infected a Xmas party Spain

These two clusters are 100 miles apart in Ontario

https://globalnews.ca/news/8428621/omicron-london-covid-cluster-mlhu/

The health unit announced Monday that it received word Sunday night that two of the 30 cases screened positive for S gene target failure, which is a marker for the Omicron variant. 

Public health officials say they continue to investigate the cases that have been linked to the arrival of two travellers from Nigeria, who arrived in London in late-November.

The cluster is linked to several schools and child-care centres. 

The cluster is also linked to an outbreak at God’s Favourite House, a church on Dearness Drive.

“The number of high-risk close contacts continues to increase and is expected to exceed 100,” the health unit said in a statement.

Possible omicron in 2nd cluster

https://thecanadian.news/2021/12/06/over-40-infected-with-covid-at-kingsville-restaurant/

As of Monday morning, 42 of the approximately 75 people present at the Elite Restaurant (20-22 Main St. W.) between November 18 and December 2 tested positive. The outbreak, which originated from a single social gathering on November 18, prompted a high-risk public exposure notice from the health unit

I don't know what you think, but it seems to me that the R0 must be extremely high, possibly even higher than measles. It's just spreading so fast and so completely. 

This is the latest Dr John Campbell video all about it in the UK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTxAGb1Lv7k

In it he says that one third of the PCR tests in the UK don't test for the S gene so they'll be useless at testing for Omicron. That in itself is worrying. I had assumed that all PCR tests were created equal.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic