Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Study- Vaxx up to 40Xs less effective on Omnicron
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Study- Vaxx up to 40Xs less effective on Omnicron

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Study- Vaxx up to 40Xs less effective on Omnicron
    Posted: December 08 2021 at 10:20pm

It makes sense when the vaccines were developed for the Alpha variant and now we're on Omicron, and they are two very different beasts. It would be interesting to know how much they actually have in common. I heard Omicron described as almost a different disease to the first Sars Covid 2.

Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
A-I View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A-I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2021 at 10:09pm

We observed that Omicron infected the ACE2-expressing cells in a concentration dependent manner but did not infect the parental H1299 cells, indicating that ACE2 is required for Omicron entry (Fig. 1A). We then tested the ability of plasma from BNT162b2 vaccinated study participants to neutralize Omicron versus ancestral D614G virus in a live virus neutralization assay. We tested 14 plasma samples from 12 participants (Table S1), with 6 having no previous record of SARS-CoV-2 infection nor detectable nucleocapsid antibodies indicative of previous infection. For two of these participants, we used samples from two timepoints. The remaining 6 participants had a record of previous infection in the first SARS-CoV-2 infection wave in South Africa where infection was with ancestral D614G virus (Table S1). Geometric mean titer (GMT) FRNT50 (inverse of the plasma dilution required for 50% reduction in infection foci number) was 1321 for D614G. These samples therefore had very strong neutralization of D614G virus, consistent with sampling soon after vaccination. GMT FRNT50 for the same samples was 32 for Omicron, a 41-fold decline (Fig 1B). However, the escape was incomplete, with 5 of the participants, all previously infected, showing relatively high neutralization titers with Omicron.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/21150195-medrxiv-2021-267417v1-sigal

"Facts don't care about your feelings" I'M A UNVAXXED DEVIL so kiss my rebel ass.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic