Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Warning from UK ...we gone mad

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hazelpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Warning from UK ...we gone mad
    Posted: December 13 2021 at 11:07am

Things have gone a bit mad here in the UK very quickly. Our government are saying the spread is like nothing they have ever seen before and the public need to realise we are in a Covid emergency.   They say it will be the dominant strain in London within 24hrs.

The first few patients are turning up in hospital aged 18 - 75 and most are double vaccinated. The first death from the new varient  occured here today and was from one of the first cases 10 days ago.  That's all the information they are releasing but they are predicting that the true figure is that  200,000 people in UK today contracted omicron.  (Link below)

They say double vaccination is not enough and to get booster but dont say for how long that protection will last.  They want to boost 1million every day and brought in the militaries to aid this.   As a result we have 6hr queues of people waiting for vaccine. NHS has gone to top alert level and  signs of panic buying hitting the shops as people are stocking up.  

I dont know if this panic is necessary but something has really spooked our government and all the opposition parties as they are all suddenly agreeing to work together.

Yesterday the UK was cautious but sane...today it's gone a bit crazy without warning.

Be prepared but whether that's from omicron or from the mania and I am not yet sure.  

Hz x

P.S.   UPDATE Printed a few mins ago our governmemt advisers (SAGE) has updated modelling saying we should be protected to some degree from severe illness by omicron.  So having scared the country shirtless they are now doubling back....as I said mad  think they all on something today.  We are normally quite reserved.

2 dose Pfz 84% protection against death by omicron.

2 dose Az  77.1% protection

Wanes between 3-6 months to 61.3%.

Boosting dose of Pfz estimates to give 93% protection from death and 71% against symptoms.

This is just UK modelling waiting for published figures of how they came to this.

COVID-19: Omicron infecting 200,000 in UK every day, Health Secretary Sajid Javid says - as COVID passport changes announced | UK News | Sky News

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-omicron-now-estimated-to-be-20-of-infections-in-england-as-coronavirus-pass-changes-announced-12495087

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10304005/TWO-Covid-jabs-slash-risk-dying-Omicron-hospitalised-84.html

KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 11:41am

I have to say wow, wow and wow. I've just had a quick look at the British papers and it really has gone mad hasn't it? Wow. 

That's a huge target to hit of 1million boosters a day, and that includes Christmas day which i don't think will be happening. 

What I found was really awful was a report on the cancellation of Christmas bookings at pubs and restaurants, which although understandable, will have a devastating effect on the hospitality industry. I worked in a lot of pubs and restaurants when I was a student and I know how much they rely on that time to make profits to see them through the less busy times of the years. We're almost 2 years into this disaster and I'm not sure how much longer some small businesses can keep going. I feel very sorry for them.

Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Dutch Josh View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 12:29pm

"Saving the economy" is destroying that economy ! 

If Norway numbers on cases/deaths are an indication of what countries may expect it looks "bad"...Did some "politicians" finally wake up or so...realized what a total mess they did create...

There are conflicting studies on vaccines/immunity...still...Omicron is high speed !

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
~Albert Einstein
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 1:37pm

BBC News - Covid: First UK death recorded with Omicron variant

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59639007

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.πŸ––

Marcus Aurelius
pheasant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pheasant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2021 at 5:45am

It feels like March of last year, just watching for it all to set in stateside. With the speed and doubling times, it feels like were headed for another shutdown, and shortages again.

Looks like Déjà vu.

Note the Manufacturing affected by this.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/12/14/chinas-zhejiang-fights-new-covid-outbreak-amid-omicron

News|Coronavirus pandemic

China faces new COVID outbreak as first Omicron case is reported

Outbreak in three Zhejiang cities – Ningbo, Shaoxing and Hangzhou – was developing at a ‘relatively rapid’ speed as 50,000 people are placed under quarantine.

The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself......FDR
roni3470 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roni3470 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2021 at 7:47am

Wow...this is crazy!  Please keep us updated!

NOW is the Season to Know

that Everything you Do

is Sacred
Littlesmile View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Littlesmile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2021 at 1:47am

Things have gone mad very very quickly! It will be interesting (maybe not the right word) what the next few weeks hold.

:-)
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2021 at 1:30pm

ABC News: Omicron spread leads to UK record of 78,610 COVID-19 cases in single day.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-12-16/omicron-spread-leads-to-uk-record-78000-covid-cases/100704222

"Interesting"

Is precisely the correct word.....

All we can do is watch with interest,

650,000 booster shots given out yesterday.......

They taking this very seriously......

Take care all πŸ˜·πŸ˜‰πŸ’‰

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.πŸ––

Marcus Aurelius
Littlesmile View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Littlesmile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2021 at 2:48pm

Lol interesting might be the right word to use but weeks might be too hopeful  :-)

:-)
Tabitha111 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tabitha111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 1:09pm

and so it goes....here in our little retirement community, everyone acts like the pandemic is over. We are all triple-vaxxed, which I hope "saves us from the worst" but who knows? Our director said that unless 20 people (20!!!) get Covid at the same time- they will NOT shut down the dining room or activities...doesn't that seem like a lot of folks...what if 10 get it or 11 or 19? It seems like an insane policy.

'A man who does not think and plan long ahead will find trouble right at his door.'
--Confucius

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic