Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Omicron now dominant COVID-19 variant in U.S.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradlux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Omicron now dominant COVID-19 variant in U.S.
    Posted: December 21 2021 at 12:34pm

Omicron is now the dominant version of the coronavirus in the U.S., racing ahead of all others, and accounting for 73 per cent of new infections last week, federal health officials said Monday.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention numbers showed nearly a six-fold increase in omicron’s share of infections in only one week.

https://worldabcnews.com/omicron-now-dominant-covid-19-variant-in-u-s/

Usk View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Usk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2021 at 5:25am

Here is some prospective  on the numbers and how much to be worried about any of this

Wuhan, China. Subsequently, SARS-CoV-2 rapidly spread globally, resulting in a pandemic that has to date infected over 200 million individuals and resulted in more than 4.3 million deaths. While SARS-CoV-2 results in severe disease in 13.8%, with increasing frequency of severe disease with age, over 80% of infections are asymptomatic or mild.

The Immune Response to SARS-CoV-2 and Variants of Concern

by  1,2 3,4 and  1,2,4,*

Usk View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Usk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2021 at 5:43am

And this from the front lines. My son in law wrote in a text to me

I just got home from work after a 10-hr shift at the hospital I’m currently assigned to as a health care traveler. I WITNESSED WITH MY OWN EYES a number of VACCINATED people coming into our emergency room today WITH ACTIVE COVID INFECTIONS. I’m 100% SURE they had active COVID infections because I saw their POSITIVE COVID TESTS. HOW am I suppose to be convinced to take one of these vaccines and risk the potential side effects when I’ve seen so many vaccinated people sick with COVID infections?

Tabitha111 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tabitha111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2021 at 8:01am

Originally posted by Usk Usk wrote:

And this from the front lines. My son in law wrote in a text to me

I just got home from work after a 10-hr shift at the hospital I’m currently assigned to as a health care traveler. I WITNESSED WITH MY OWN EYES a number of VACCINATED people coming into our emergency room today WITH ACTIVE COVID INFECTIONS. I’m 100% SURE they had active COVID infections because I saw their POSITIVE COVID TESTS. HOW am I suppose to be convinced to take one of these vaccines and risk the potential side effects when I’ve seen so many vaccinated people sick with COVID infections?

Were they boosted? All of them?  That might make a HUGE difference. 

'A man who does not think and plan long ahead will find trouble right at his door.'
--Confucius

ME163 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ME163 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2021 at 9:07am

i was boosted and given a second  booster.  I still got Covid again.... so in my case breakthrough infection was a nasty surprise.  I am a magnet for these things. 

ME163

roni3470 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roni3470 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2021 at 9:17am

I just saw a story about breakthrough infections may create super immunity.  I wonder if thats true because ME you have had 2 breakthroughs right?

NOW is the Season to Know

that Everything you Do

is Sacred
A-I View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A-I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2021 at 11:35am

Originally posted by ME163 ME163 wrote:

i was boosted and given a second  booster.  I still got Covid again.... so in my case breakthrough infection was a nasty surprise.  I am a magnet for these things. 

ME163

Curious how soon after your second booster did you become reinfected with covid? And when was your initial infection in relation to your initial two shots? And to be clear you were given the initial two shots and two subsequent booster shots?

"Facts don't care about your feelings" I'M A UNVAXXED DEVIL so kiss my rebel ass.
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2021 at 1:07pm

I have a brother living overseas who was so worried about Covid, he got 2 pfizer jabs and 2 Moderna jabs. I think he's just had his first booster. So he's had 5 jabs in total. I'll let you know if he gets Covid.

Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
WitchMisspelled View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2021 at 2:05pm

I'm not sure what role your son plays in healthcare, Usk.  But I've never EVER heard any healthcare worker say "wtf".  Because each and every one of them knew vaccine was more about mitigation rather than complete protection against contracting Covid.  

Usk View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Usk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2021 at 7:06pm

My son in law did not say wtf???

Usk View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Usk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2021 at 8:37am

Many health care workers like my son in law is triple vaccinated but Many health care workers like my son in law is triple vaccinated but Omicron does not care. His point was that they are  overwhelmed.  Overnight!  They are coming in with high fevers and high heart rates with bad headaches The only positive is they have many more treatment options then two years ago His concern is that this variant does not care about your vaccine passport. It laughs in your face. He is concerned for healthcare workers who are going to get sick now too. They are already  so tired of this and to add insult to injury they themselves  are no longer protected. It is just that contagious 

Tabitha111 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tabitha111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2021 at 2:09pm

It seems to be super contagious! On another forum I belong to- person went to grocery store after going nowhere for 2 weeks, masked, triple vaxxed....went to pick up Christmas dinner trimmings.  Next day (!) woke up with chills, seriously bad headache, sore throat. Tested + Getting MABs today. She mentions the headache is the worst.

'A man who does not think and plan long ahead will find trouble right at his door.'
--Confucius

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2021 at 5:06pm

Originally posted by Usk Usk wrote:

My son in law did not say wtf???

My apologies for my poor piece of paraphrasing, Usk. 

Your next post clarifies something I misunderstood.  Yet the answer to convincing people to get vaccinated is to mitigate serious illness and hospitalizations which threaten to overwhelm your son and all healthcare workers.  After two years of going non-stop, healthcare workers are exhausted.   Even though it's shaping up that Omicrom has milder symptoms and it appears the unvaccinated comprise the majority of hospitalizations.  The speed of and number of infections is mind numbing.

Usk View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Usk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2021 at 6:27pm

Yes. Tonight  he said that in NYC where he is a floater they are having him work 3 days straight napping when he can. They have a full er and all Covid and ALL fully vaccinated with a booster!!  Many are sick with high fevers which only respond to hydration not tylenol!  At least most ocan use home therapy and isolation and do not need hospital icu. Some are under 12 and they do hospital izet them due to getting  dehydrated easily

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2021 at 7:07pm

My admiration and thanks to your son.  NYC has among the highest vaccination rates in the country.   But the last I read NYC is only about 30% boosted.  If our hospitals get overwhelmed, I truly fear for places that are not as highly vaccinated.  

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic