Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips > Pets & Animals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

What can be done to save our pets?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 4:26pm
Muskrat, I say eat the fish rather than flushing them (if safe to do so)... and no, I dont think you are a bad person.

Fritz, I love the idea about the tarp.

I came across something a while ago that was also interesting... here is the link http://www.avianflutalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1106
Ironstone View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 4:23pm
I have a very small dog and both he and i like going out of doors.  I have purchased sprinkler pipes and the glue for them to make us a covered area by the french doors but could move it to a slider.  Enough plastic to cover the top and net screening all the way down to the patio floor.  I plan on keeping that brick area scrubbed with bleach water to clean up after him (do that anyway) so we will have an outdoor area that will be inexpensive and useable.
Ironstone
Siameselade View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siameselade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 4:19pm
LOL
Siam
fritz View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 4:11pm
Me too Miss Scarlet. I was originally thinking baggie booties for my 3 dogs but that is 12 booties 3 times a day = 36 booties a day x 7 days a week = 252 booties a week! x 4 weeks in a month+/- = 1008 booties a month!! x 12 months = 12,096 baggie booties for one year!!!    
I can not buy 12 thousand baggies!!!

Enter plan B:
How about I lay a tarp down on the grass, lets say 10' x 12' and hold it in place with bricks or large stones and then uncover for dogs to do their business, pick up said business, recover to protect grass/earth from birds, bunnies and all else, and done! Any thoughts?? I think my dogs are too old to train them to go inside on paper now. I tried and they just looked at me like "What the ^$$(^&^. ?" They are very good comunicators, I just wish I was as good. lol
C'mon we can solve this one. They're depending on us!   fritz :>}
"I am only one; but still I am one, I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do." -- Hellen Keller
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 3:54pm
being the one that I am....

what would you do.....honestly...i have 2 beautiful cats and a pup....spinger spainiel.pom....2 cockatiels....hummm 5 aquruims...so if i flushed the fish to fill the tanks will water that the children and i can use am I a bad person or a good person....
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 3:52pm
P.S. I am going to move this thread into the Pet section of the forum, as it seems more appropriate there than the Latest News section. Please let me know if you think differently.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 3:50pm
MizScarlett, I look forward to reading your plan! Big smile
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by JaxMax JaxMax wrote:

In a an H5N1 pandemic dogs and cats must be eliminated. I love my dog, but humans outrank dogs.

Hey Jax  ...

I'm hoping you meant stray animals and animals who had H5N1 or symptoms or been exposed ????   Couldn't argue there...BUT  there are other options for pets ... although some measures are going to be expensive and difficult to maintain. 

And how about preparing for 3 Llamas and a baby one due in April !!!    Wacko   ARRGGGG !!!    I also have six Poms, but that's relatively easy!!!

I consider any ground that a bird could even  fly over to be deadly contaminated from potential bird poop  (it's everywhere, it's everywhere  !!! ).   And also any field critter could bring it in ...rabbits, field mice, deer, etc.  So I won't let any of my "kids"  (meaning animals only here; just them and me) set foot/paw on any such ground ... for at least two years !!!!   Unhappy

I'm working on a pretty elaborate set-up to house the llamas and to let them, my Poms ...and ME  Smile  run "outside "... sorta.

I've devised a plan that could be scaled down for smaller pets, and I want to share it with y'all ... but it's almost dark here ... gotta go feed said llamas.   And it's still a work in progress, so I really want input from you all.

I'll write later this evening.  Glad you started this thread !!!   Clap  

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 3:45pm
Oh my.... how I hate to read posts like yours JM.

I have dogs.  Dogs that I consider to be my four-legged "children" and as such I have planned and prepped for them as well. 

Although I do acknowledge that we will each have to make our own decision if and when the time comes.  I would just beg and plead that all pet owners NOT turn their pets out to fend for themselves.  If that means euthanasia, so be it... it is a better alternative to dumping them into an unfamiliar and impossible situation.

SZ
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 3:43pm
JaxMax, I sincerely hope that you do not need to shot your dog. Hopefully you can devise a plan that will prevent your beloved pet from having the chance to eat the birds. Please read through the forums of some of the ideas that dog owners have come up with. There are many dog owners here who really like their dogs too and have come up with some great ideas. :)
JaxMax View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaxMax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 3:38pm
I certainly do not want to eliminate my dog. But he will eat birds if given the chance. And it is undisputed that dogs and cats can contract H5N1.

I hope I could get someone else to shoot him.

I really like my dog.
He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm.Proverbs 13:20, The Bible
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 3:34pm
There is some good information throughout the forums regarding pets. I recommend looking in

for threads regarding care of our pets (Dogs, cats, etc).
Cindy View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 3:28pm
   Shocked   I have six house cats and one dog. I have had my cat Samantha for 15 years and to me she is a member of my family, as are all of my pets. They are like children to me. I would like to take every step possible to save them.
7Strong View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7Strong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 3:18pm
I also have some concerns.  I have outdoor cats (I live on a small farm) I do not want the cats in the house and am also thinking about putting them in the garage.  I don't know if that will be worse for them than having them put down.  I also have a very old house dog that will need to go out.  I suppose we will take him out on a leash but am still worried as he will be down sniffing around.....  Will this be safe?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by JaxMax JaxMax wrote:

In a an H5N1 pandemic dogs and cats must be eliminated. I love my dog, but humans outrank dogs.

Of course humans outrank pets, however there will be no need to "eliminate" household pets that are quarantined safely inside homes. The only way they will be exposed is if we expose them, and in that case, we have already exposed ourselves...
JaxMax View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaxMax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 2:55pm

Pandemic Flu can be contracted by both cats and dogs. In the 1918 epidemic, owners requested the police to shoot thier dogs. In Indonesia tigers at the zoo contracted H5N1 from birds they ate.My dog will occasionally kill a bird and bring it to me proudly and lay it by his dinner bowl.

The Government of Thailand documented this is a study in 2005. See Recombinomics.com, Commentary, February 14, 2006."H5N1 in Dogs and Cats"

He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm.Proverbs 13:20, The Bible
Cindy View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 2:54pm
   Smile   I don't let my cats outside either, but I have to let my Chow  Chow out to go potty. I have a Siamease cat that is 15 years old, and I worry that my dog may bring the virus in the house with him.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 2:51pm
I'm so glad I have no pets whatsoever. It must be an added worry to you all.
HD
Siameselade View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siameselade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 2:44pm
If they get sick the kindest thing to do is to put them to sleep.  This is not a nice way to die. You can take some precautions, keep your cats indoors only, and training your dogs to do their business in a certain area, we are thinking out using our garage for little dog. and wiping their feet.  Our Bird will never go outdoors again, until there is a vaccine. She has a beautiful outdoor aviary, that she loves.  She always gives the little sparrows heck for drinking her water.
My cats never go outdoors except on leash, so they won't have too much to adapt to
Siam
Cindy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 2:26pm
   Cry  Do you think they will make us put them to sleep if they get sick?
Cindy
cv1632 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cv1632 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 2:20pm
It is also possible that pets (depending on the pet) could become a major facilitator of infection in a pandemic. As it is progressing, it is affecting cats, dogs, etc.

Something to consider.
Why do some people Hate, with incredible passion, and yet without reason, consideration of fact, or any allowance for rebuttal. Father God, forgive me if I should ever be this intolerant of others.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 2:15pm
Just a thought, but I would assume there are the same difficulties with having a vaccine for animals as there is for humans.  They cannot make a an effective vaccine without knowing what the virus is. 
Cindy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 2:08pm
  Shocked  Why have I not heard anything about our pets? Does anyone know how we can protect them, and why there has been no discussion on a possible shot to prevent them from getting sick? 
Cindy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic