Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

H2H?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daddog36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: H2H?
    Posted: April 05 2006 at 9:26am
Forum we have outbreaks on 3 continents. Its seems we have limited H2H in family clustors and very close contact to people.Pandemic----- the spread of an infectios disease over a wide area. A pandemic is larger than an epidemic. The term is usually restricted to diseases that spread over all or almost all the world. Thats the definition out of a medical dictionary. Its not looking good. Iam not trying tobe negative and I dont want this to happen but the news is not gettin better. Please respond everyone I like to read your thoughts. Thanks.
daddog36
Thomas Angel View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 9:33am

It's coming, just a question of when we see it with our own eyes.

I LIKE SCARY RIDES
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 9:44am
I feel it is coming, sooner than later I think, altho I pray every day that I am mistaken.
stockmama View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stockmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 10:01am
Well. we just found out this morning that we are pregnant, my husband  had better start reading up on "home births" because I am not going anywhere near a hospital in Dec, if it gets as bad as you all say.  I should be happy, and not so worried.  The stats don't look great for pregnant and infants...pray pray pray!  Thanks!
stockmama View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stockmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 10:02am
Or should I have said "pray pray pray and prep prep prep!!" Wink
plainsman View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plainsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 10:03am
I've always thought, out here in West Texas, when the Canada Geese return in November is when we'll see it. They will have had all summer to mix with birds from Asia in Alaska and Canada. We have so many, their poop covers all our parks and schoolyards. Have no idea what we're going to do about that.

Of course if it goes H2H before then, all bets are off.

And we could all get blindsided, if it comes not from the North, as most expect, but from the South. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 10:08am
Congrats stockmama, I'm sure there are some midwives on this board somewhere.
Deej View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 10:30am
congrats stockmama. try not to worry, just read up on things that you need to know.  cover your butt with knowledge & talk to your doc about your fears- maybe you can work out a secondary plan if needed. 
dee
nettie4263 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nettie4263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 10:37am

Originally posted by stockmama stockmama wrote:

Well. we just found out this morning that we are pregnant, my husband  had better start reading up on "home births" because I am not going anywhere near a hospital in Dec, if it gets as bad as you all say.  I should be happy, and not so worried.  The stats don't look great for pregnant and infants...pray pray pray!  Thanks!

Congratulations!!!

Please don't let fear ruin this beautiful time for you.  Continue to prepare, but don't panic.  FWIW, I considered home birth with my last child just because it's so much nicer without needless medical interventions.  My husband said NO WAY though, so I had an unmedicated birth with a midwife in the hospital.  She kept the staff hands-off me, and it was SO much better than my first one.  You should be able to find a midwife you are comfortable with to come to your home.

Congrats again!!
stockmama View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stockmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 10:44am
Thank you all so much for the well wishes!  We are so happy and excited!  One in college, supporting herself-one who will be three in November, and on due in December....motherhood in late 30's/40 is sure different than at 22!!  I am grateful that I am older, if the avian flu reared it's ugly head when I was younger, I know that I was not mature enough to think ahead much, the "invincibility factor"---you know!  But I was sure a worry wort about the baby, now instead of worry, I educate myself and plan!  Thanks again!! You are all so great! Your wealth of knowledge and common sense never cease to astound me!!

Stockmama  (to be!!!)Wink
tonseck View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonseck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 10:55am
What was that about a duck in the oven?    Clap
Don't be afraid to be afraid; it keeps you on your toes.
stockmama View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stockmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 10:59am
achemmm...I think it's a "bun" Wink  Good thing I've been reading posts on making bread for two weeks...didn't think it would be literally...but hey!  With all the news that is coming to us on this site on a daily basis, how does one decide which are the most relevant?  They are all so interesting, but I have limited time.   Thanks again!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 11:02am
Congratulations!  Now you'll have to add DIAPERS to that preplist!!!-k
stockmama View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stockmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 11:10am
Already on that!  I was thinking cloth for about 2 seconds, and then I thought....I wouldn't want to waste precious drinking water on cleaning up THAT! Wink  You know, I have to say, from the bottom of my heart, I have never known a group of people, who, in the face of possible catastrophe-pulled together in such an amazing way--the helpfulness and genuine concern here, from Thomas Angel to JaxMax and all of you--thanks!  My husband is just now coming on board --thoughtfullness-not panic-information-not doomsaying-that's why I love this site!
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 11:28am
Originally posted by ReadyMom ReadyMom wrote:

Congratulations!  Now you'll have to add DIAPERS to that preplist!!!-k
They make pretty good compression bandages as well.  As do kotex pads.  You can "pack" a wound with tampon material as well...
All that stuff is sterile, individually wrapped,  and very absorbent.
I LIKE SCARY RIDES
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 12:18pm
Congratulations!  Don't know for sure but your child may be the first born of a new generation of members in this forum.  Don't worry, your child will have hundreds or thousands of 'god-parents'.  Clap
stockmama View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stockmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 12:29pm
The funny thing is, I just stocked up on a TON of the stuff TA mentioned,  I belong to another site that I have used to aid in my stockpiling....I actually started stockpiling before I found this board-to save money and buy a lot when items were on sale, so I wouldn't have to pay full price when they go off sale, I can list the site if appropriate, but suffice to say, I have a LOT of many things, at sooo much less than I normally spend.  If what TA says is true, I could start my own field hospital LOL
stockmama View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stockmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 12:29pm
You are ALL honorary God-Parents! Big smile
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 12:53pm
Stockmama-congrats from here also !-Ihad a homebirth with my second one-by choice. It's much healthier for you and baby anyways-A friend of mine just had a baby at home 3 weeks ago, darn mdwife was 2 hours late, haha-and her husband helped deliver with no problems. take very best care of yourself during the pregnancy and all will go well.
calendula View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calendula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 1:00pm

Stockmama:  Sure, I would love to be a "a cyber g-d parent"

Blessings!

I am not here to reason, I am here to create"
Gimme View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gimme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by daddog36 daddog36 wrote:

...... Please respond everyone I like to read your thoughts. Thanks.

Ok I look at it this way, when people comment that there is no news on  H5N1 and suggest a "black out", the flip side is, maybe there is just is no
news, as simple as that.  Maybe its not spreading like they predict. Some Scientist gave it 50/50, that's pretty safe to state, ones credibility would not be questioned either way.  If and when it gets to the US, its just like TA stated, we have to experience it, see it happening. One way or another, it's always good to have an exit plan, a kind of 50/50 so you arent "caught with your pants down type thing."  Just follow it along in the news, and watch for those "mystery illnesses". That's my take. B
tonseck View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonseck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 6:17pm
Stockmama,

When do I get to bounce my little godchild on my knee?  I'll bring over the Sunday New York Times, make coffee and buns, and you can relax while ...... Ignatz and I play.
Don't be afraid to be afraid; it keeps you on your toes.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 6:31pm
Best wishes on your new arrival, and don't let fear or worry get you down.  You have prepped, and given your family a great headstart in life if the BF goes H2H or not!
Mississipp Mama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 6:32pm
  Stockmama, congratulations, It's great to hear that you are in a wonderful frame of mind during this time.  This is going to be one blessed baby to have parents like you guys that have matured enough to look far ahead  and plan for her/his wonderful arrival.  Things and timing will work out just fine for you and the baby.  Your are doing all the right things.  I feel like I'm already a part of the baby's life. 
stockmama View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stockmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 8:26pm
Thanks everyone!!  On a serious note, I work for a major shipping company part time, I audit all international shipments going OUT of the country to make sure they comply with customs.  There have been many countries that now prohibit any feathers, eggs, poultry product of any kind.  Now I am going to be the LAST person to open a package for inspection without protection...still knowing how lax customs can be in certain countries, it would not suprise me in the least to see samples being shipped improperly (sic).   We just got a company memo saying that we are starting to ship "specimines" (I cannot spell tonight, sorry)  in it, it states the correct way to handle these packages, but in a verrry vague way....nothing about BF.  Just creepy the timing of it you know?  I catch colds all the time handling the few packages I do, wonder how long a (THE) virus can live on cardboard?
liilac View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liilac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2006 at 6:33am
   Congratualtions Stockmama !! Don't worry...be happy.You can't put your life on hold for something that may or may not happen.My grandmother had the Spanish Flu when she was pregnant and she had a beautiful healthy boy.They were both fine and my grandmother lived to be 93.
liilac
Rudbek View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rudbek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2006 at 7:11am

Stockmama:  Congratulations on the wonderful news!!

My wife and I have five kids, all homebirth.  My wife is more afraid of hospitals than almost anything else.  My family and hers thought we were going "hippie commune" crazy or something.  (I guess that term kind os dates me)  I just thought we were going crazy.

An earlier post mentioned late midwife -- happened to us twice and I caught two of our children before midwife arrived.  That's  probably why I look 20 years older than I am.

I guess my two cents is that if TSHTF and you can't get to the hospital, you can do it.   Scary?  Yes.  Doable?  Absolutely.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2006 at 8:02am
Stockmama:

You sound like me!!  When you described not being mature in 20s.  I had my first child at 33, second at 35.  It's a piece of cake...not.  But I am the best mama.  Congrads!!!!  My kids are 16 & 14..soon to be 17 & 15 now.  Great kids.  You will be fine.  My first labor..3 hours..no joke.  Surprised me and the Doctor.  All natural.  He was born so fast, that he had skid marks on his face. from when he hit the bed.   I'm serious.  No one was in the room to catch him.  Of course, their father was there, but I had a death grip on his hand and he wasn't going anywhere.  LOL.  Second child was a c-section.  Labor stopped after water broke.  She really did not want to come out into the world..that one.  LOL.  But both healthy.  You are going to be the "best mama."  Take care.  Good luck.  Peace.    
Gwyphn View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gwyphn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2006 at 8:41am
Hey, my daughter just announced she is having another child in October. Best to both of you.
I had four children naturally. Except that I hemorhaged each time it was not a difficult thing. And the bleeding would have occured with meds anyway.
For generations we have lived not wisely but too well. Now we must pay.
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2006 at 9:41am
Originally posted by stockmama stockmama wrote:

The funny thing is, I just stocked up on a TON of the stuff TA mentioned,  I belong to another site that I have used to aid in my stockpiling....I actually started stockpiling before I found this board-to save money and buy a lot when items were on sale, so I wouldn't have to pay full price when they go off sale, I can list the site if appropriate, but suffice to say, I have a LOT of many things, at sooo much less than I normally spend.  If what TA says is true, I could start my own field hospital LOL
You'll be a big asset to your community or group if you have those kinds of supplies stocked up.
I LIKE SCARY RIDES
CitizenBlue View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CitizenBlue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2006 at 9:50am
This should serve us as a reminder folks. This is what life and living is all about. Bad thaings come with the contract of living, but one should never forget the life worth living.

Congrats Stockmama!
It's always the lowest common denominator.
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2006 at 9:50am

My youngest daughter, Gudrun, will turn three the first week of May, and she's a blessing, as are all children.

The world isn't going to stop, you know, just because there's a pandemic.  Children will be born in the midst of it, just like children are born in the midst of wars and other chaos. 

Mid-wives are going to be in great demand after long periods of quarantines and isolation, lol.

To alll you soon to be, and future parents, grandparents - children are the future.
I LIKE SCARY RIDES
Spirit View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2006 at 10:38am
Congratulations Stockmama  - What a blessed time ahead of you.
I had both of my children at home and loved the experience. I went to all the doctors visits to ease my husbands mind, but I also went to a midwife during the pregnancies.
She showed us all the things to watch for and recommended so many books and so much prep and supplies. By the time the births happened, we felt very comfortable.

There is also a fact sheet available for emergency births when it is just you or one other person there. If you would like more info, please PM me.

Wow...what lovely news!

“How now, Spirit! whither wander you?”
- Shakespeare.
stockmama View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stockmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2006 at 10:40am
okay, you guys...you are making me cry...thanks so much for all the touching words and encouragement!  I hate being so emotional, not a usual trait for me...analyze, analyze, logic, logic.  I cried watching a toy commercial for heavens sake!  Going to go shopping for more preps today, good specials on water and canned goods,  well worth the 45 minute drive to the store!!   You are all the best!!
stockmama View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stockmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2006 at 10:42am
By the way TA, I like your daughters name!
GrizzlyGirl View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrizzlyGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2006 at 3:52pm
I guess we should all be worried since it is definitely coming, but my fear is that it could already be here and we just haven't found it yet. Who kows? We may not have found it here yet because we have had no reason to look for it until now.  Bird flu has existed for decades yet usually isn't fatal even to the birds. They carry the virus in their intestines, yet it usually doesn't amount to much more than that. Unsanity conditions coupled with working in close proximity to infected birds have caused the outbreaks that it has caused. Most of those outbreaks have occurred in countries where sanitary conditions are compromised at best. Not all cases  have done so yet as the disease is spreading it has adapated to a wide variety of living conditions. Like I mentioned, I worry that maybe it is here already and has been for awhile but we haven't been looking for it or testing for it because it hasn't been as big of a threat as it is now. Any thoughts?
pugmom View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pugmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2006 at 7:50pm
I don't believe it is here yet, as you HAVE to see multiple birds (more than 3) dying suddenly with the usual symptoms of bloody secretions, inability to stand up, inability to eat or breathe.  These dying birds are obvious everywhere else.  We are not seeing these bird "die-offs" yet.
jpc
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic