Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Flu hits over 2,200 students in E.China

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chargingbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flu hits over 2,200 students in E.China
    Posted: April 06 2006 at 3:11am

anything from
Zhejiang china like this is suspicious Most of the cases? what about the others mutations of bird flu maybe..

http://english.people.com.cn/200604/06/eng20060406_256493.html

Some 2,292 primary and middle school students in East China's Zhejiang Province were hit by flu in the first quarter of this year, local government sources said on Thursday.

The provincial health department has issued a warning against a possible flu outbreak, calling for local residents to keep alert.

According to statistics of the health department, the 2,292 flu cases were reported between January 1 and March 27, with a rate of 4.86 per 100,000 people, up 493.78 and 498.68 percent, respectively, over the same period of last year.

Of all the flu-hit patients, 98.43 percent are students, with half living in rural areas, local health care experts said.

Most of the cases are B-type flu, which spreads fast among people with low flu resistibility.<

what? spreads fast among people with low flu resistibility, just living in china gives a strong  resistibility of any flu.

now looky here remember this last month..

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2006-03/08/content_528248.htm

Girl, 9, dies of bird flu in Zhejiang
(Xinhua/chinadaily.com.cn)
Updated: 2006-03-08 11:36

The nine-year-old girl in east China's Zhejiang Province has died from bird flu, bringing China's death toll of the disease to 10.<

drpepper View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drpepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 5:02am
not sure what the two articles have to do w/ eachother but im thinking an almost 500% rise in flu cases over last years "first quarter" (jan-april.) CANNOT BE A GOOD THING...........NOT GOOD AT ALL.  sheesh, i need more coffee. 
"of the two witnesses, listen to your conscience"
7Strong View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7Strong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 5:55am
I think the fact that there are both B flu and AI in the same area in roughly the same time frame is indeed something to be concerned about.  Nothing like a great mixing pot!

Thomas Angel View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 7:53am
It can't be a "good thing".
I LIKE SCARY RIDES
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 7:59am
Originally posted by Thomas Angel Thomas Angel wrote:

It can't be a "good thing".

Actually it could be a "good thing" if one considers that it appears that Bird Flu has finally mutated down to a mild strain.  If it kills no more than the regular Flu does every year, we have only our normal fear to deal with.

In that regard, very few people fear the normal flu (presently H3N2) and very few people will need to fear H5N1.
pbl View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pbl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 8:06am

i am in Zhejiang, it is just an unnormal flu, have no relationship with bird flu.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 8:08am
No quarantine reported?
No deaths reported? Hmmm, Not a requirement for stage six but seems to be prevalent in H5N1 at a high rate.

How close are the "400 students at a university in central China's Henan province that were hospitalized with high fever linked to an unknown flu virus.... to these 2,200 students?

Originally posted by JoeNeubarth JoeNeubarth wrote:

BUT, knowing how China lies about EVERYTHING, can you believe any report coming out from the Communist Chinese government?  I know I can't.

What I hope for (and have been anticipating for almost a year now) is the mutation from a deadly strain to a far more mild strain of H5N1.  If so, this might be it. 

Ease of transmission with a low death count. (That is good via comparison with all the evil projections for millions dead!)

Human death is not a requirement for Stage Six. 
pbl View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pbl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 8:11am
Zhejiang Health Department has already issued a warning of new type flu virus, And Zhejiang people have low resistance ability of this virus, this is the key reason of why there are so many students get the flu.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 8:13am
Originally posted by pbl pbl wrote:

i am in Zhejiang, it is just an unnormal flu, have no relationship with bird flu.

You have absolutely no relationship or causative information to go on.  All you know is that the students were sick with a high fever, upper respiratory problems and discomfort.  That could be normal Bird Flu (H3N2, H1N1) or it could be a mild H5N1 Bird Flu.  There is no (non laboratory) way to differentiate between the various Bird Flu viruses if H5N1 has become mild.

Remember, ALL human Type A Flu is Bird Flu (Not just H5N1) and they all present the same symptoms.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 8:21am
"How close are the "400 students at a university in central China's Henan province that were hospitalized with high fever linked to an unknown flu virus.... to these 2,200 students?"

Looks like half a thousand miles.  One province is on the coast and the other is well inland.
pbl View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pbl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 8:25am
You have absolutely no relationship or causative information to go on.  All you know is that the students were sick with a high fever, upper respiratory problems and discomfort.  That could be normal Bird Flu (H3N2, H1N1) or it could be a mild H5N1.  There is no (non laboratory) way to differentiate between the various Bird Flu viruses if H5N1 has become mild

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems that you are an expert of bird flu. Until now, even WHO are not very sure that the bird flu can infect human-to-human, how do you know this flu case if the mild of bird flu or H3N2 virus bird flu. You are not in China, you do not know what is really happened in China. We can say in China we are more safe then in USA. Our government done a good job in bird flu control, even they do not do a good job in other field.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 8:30am

"How close are the "400 students at a university in central China's Henan province that were hospitalized with high fever linked to an unknown flu virus.... to these 2,200 students?"

Looks like half a thousand miles.  One province is on the coast and the other is well inland.
MY GOODNESS! What is happening between these two locations!
The areas between might all be infected.
I wonder what sorts of reports are flowing out of those areas?
Thanks Joe.
chinese people View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chinese people Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 8:35am
why you all  trust the exaggerated, but not trust a average people from the location. last December we really feel the threat of bird flu, but now, really it is under control.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 8:36am

You have absolutely no relationship or causative information to go on.  All you know is that the students were sick with a high fever, upper respiratory problems and discomfort.  That could be normal Bird Flu (H3N2, H1N1) or it could be a mild H5N1.  There is no (non laboratory) way to differentiate between the various Bird Flu viruses if H5N1 has become mild

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems that you are an expert of bird flu. Until now, even WHO are not very sure that the bird flu can infect human-to-human, how do you know this flu case if the mild of bird flu or H3N2 virus bird flu. You are not in China, you do not know what is really happened in China. We can say in China we are more safe then in USA. Our government done a good job in bird flu control, even they do not do a good job in other field.

Very simple thing to understand. We are dealing with a viral outbreak that most of the students have little or no immunity to.  One would expect that most of the students would have immunity to H3N2 or H1N1 Bird Flu, but few would have immunity to H5N1 Bird Flu.  If hundreds became sick in a short period of time, odds favor the outbreak of a new flu virus.  Thus I would give fifty fifty odds on H5N1 having gone mild.  As previously posted, we need lab confirmation; and, as always, China refuses to release information.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 8:45am
Originally posted by chinese people chinese people wrote:

why you all  trust the exaggerated, but not trust a average people from the location. last December we really feel the threat of bird flu, but now, really it is under control.

chinese people, there is no control.  China has THOUSANDS dead from H5N1. Just because your government has refused for years to report it does not mean that it has not happened.  The "Sichuan Sheet" strain of H5N1 has swept your country and is endemic in your farm animals and wild birds.

Your government has innoculated your pountry with H5N1 vaccine, but that does not mean that Bird Flu is under control.  It just means that the chickens and ducks do not die if they pick up the virus.  People still die if they contact infected pork in China.   That was not Streptococcus Suis as  your government told you.
pbl View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pbl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 8:50am

Very simple thing to understand. We are dealing with a viral outbreak that most of the students have little or no immunity to.  One would expect that most of the students would have immunity to H3N2 or H1N1 Bird Flu, but few would have immunity to H5N1 Bird Flu.  If hundreds became sick in a short period of time, odds favor the outbreak of a new flu virus.  Thus I would give fifty fifty odds on H5N1 having gone mild.  As previously posted, we need lab confirmation; and, as always, China refuses to release information.

Now chinese government are doing a tight cooperation with WHO, to share the experience with all country of bird flu control. Here is a report.
The only thing USA will do is sale their expensive drug to developing country to plunder the wealth. Just like Roche and GSK. If I am chinese leader, i will not share any experience of bird flu with USA government,Clap

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 8:58am
Originally posted by Paulx54 Paulx54 wrote:

Originally posted by panbingliang panbingliang wrote:

I am in China, actually we do not feel any threat of Bird Flu. I think government done a good job in controling the bird flu epidemic, they have experience from SARS in 2002. Especialy Zhejiang and Jiangsu province (East China) are more safty.

I only saw one message in this post:  Yes, there is ( or has been) an EPIDEMIC in China.  The comparison to SARS implies that the epidemic is a human epidemic.  Therefore, one would likely conclude that yes, it is h2h2h.   The post appears to be very carefully worded in order to avoid prison or death.   Thank you Panbingliang! Wink

Quotes found under Topic: cover-up in China.   I agree Paulx54
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 9:00am
China has been the most criminal of all nations in the history of the world. Nothing has changed.

The expensive drug you mention is not American.  Go to Europe and ask about their "expensive drug."  Roche is not American.  Tamiflu is being manufactured and is inexpensive in many countries of the world with copyright premission.  You believe too much of the Communist Controlled propaganda. 
pbl View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pbl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 9:09am
European and American is the same. The current white American  is come from European, you both have the same habit. You are the hypocritical gentelmen.Ying Yang
pbl View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pbl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 9:12am

I agree that we have an controlled press. But we really do not feel the threat of bird flu here. No more talking..........

Darkwombat View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darkwombat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 9:24am
Yes!  No more talking!  The Chairman commands it!
sweets View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 9:38am
As usual someone posting from China has not had a warm welcome. You tend to jump down their throat.
You make so many claims Joe, yet ask them to back up their info? You tell them they are incorrect, but you are?
Why don't you take your speculation back over to the speculation forum so that some of us could ask this person some questions without you running them off with your rudeness?

Geez I swear if there was a report that an epidemic of elephants turning pink, in a week you would be saying it's started to happen!
I'm not a ribbering Jidiot!
www.exaltedshrimp.com
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 10:10am

Thank you for sharing Pbl, it is appreciated that you visit and share your thoughts.

Not all members here agree on everything, but the forum gives us a great place to discuss our ideas and opinions with each other, even when we disagree. Please do continue to participate.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 10:19am
Originally posted by sweets sweets wrote:

As usual someone posting from China has not had a warm welcome. You tend to jump down their throat.
You make so many claims Joe, yet ask them to back up their info? You tell them they are incorrect, but you are?
Why don't you take your speculation back over to the speculation forum so that some of us could ask this person some questions without you running them off with your rudeness?

Geez I swear if there was a report that an epidemic of elephants turning pink, in a week you would be saying it's started to happen!

Communist China is the most totally evil, vile and corrupt country in the entire history of the world. They make Nazi Germany seem tame by comparison.
I love the Chinese people but hate their satanic murderous government and I will not back down from a statement that tries to deny their corruption.

It is important that the Chinese people and the world know the truth about their corruption and mass murder and, yes, even their lies about Bird Flu.

Are you naive enough to think that all those people in Hong Kong who came down with Bird Flu and died after visiting China from 1997 onward miraculously caught Bird Flu from an empty resevoir?  Sure, China lied about the deaths.  Anybody with any common sense knows that. Bird Flu was endemic to the countryside and people were dying.  I have pointed that out numerous times on this and other forums.  Are you naive enough to think that only Vietnam had Bird Flu for all those years?

We need to wake up the world to the threat and the history of this plague on humanity.  We do not need to assist in the coverup and act like easily duped minions of the Red Chinese.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 10:26am
Joe, knowing how the government of china is, stop and think for a  moment... Pbl cannot agree with you even if he wants to.... he has to live there!
sweets View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 10:35am

Ok my point is don't scare off posters from China. They could be a help to us in regards to bird flu.  

Also you don't know what I believe, but accusing me of being naive is also not productive.
I welcome you to continue this conversation with me in Members , so we don't tie up latest news.

Ying Yang
www.exaltedshrimp.com
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 10:48am
Originally posted by sweets sweets wrote:

Ok my point is don't scare off posters from China. They could be a help to us in regards to bird flu.  

Also you don't know what I believe, but accusing me of being naive is also not productive.
I welcome you to continue this conversation with me in Members , so we don't tie up latest news.

Ying Yang
I don't believe that anyone here is trying to scare off or bully anyone from China ( or anywhere else in the world for that matter).  I do not see how someone in the dark, (ie: only having access to what the Chinese Government puts out to the public) and what they post here could possibly be of help to us except in regards to demonstrating just how effective Communist China's censorship is, the nature of their mindset which allows information to be covered-up to the detriment of the rest of the world.

Now maybe you can enlighten me as to how such a person could be a help to us in regards to the situation in China, you know, tell me exactly how that is going to work here.  I just can't see it myself.  I'm not ragging you sweets, I can tell you are serious here and may have a good rationale, something no one else is "seeing".
I LIKE SCARY RIDES
endman View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote endman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 10:49am
I don’t agree China has been moving to the capitalist way of thinking for some time now
But it will take years to change the government and their mentality.
We in US have same security risk and concerns nobody is telling the truth
UFO, Associations, CIA, one thing is true that we can say we don’t trust our government
They CAN’T.
This website is getting attention of the Chinese government and they are trying calm things down
RainBow View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainBow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 10:51am

Communist China is the most totally evil, vile and corrupt country in the entire history of the world. They make Nazi Germany seem tame by comparison.
I love the Chinese people but hate their satanic murderous government and I will not back down from a statement that tries to deny their corruption.

America is the most totally evil, vile and corrupt country in the entire history of the world. They make Nazi Germany seem tame by comparison.
I love the American people but hate their satanic murderous government and I will not back down from a statement that tries to deny their corruption.

If you only knew what your government was up to. If you bother to look at the corruption that the US does in other countries, the difference is the US government hides what they do and they fatten their people with distractions to make them believe that everything is well and it is the OTHER countries causing all the problems. Look at what they did/do to Africa. I am not saying that I have any hatred towards America at all, i'm just pointing out that your statement is like the pot calling the kettle black. Don't disrepect someone's country like that, it doesn't feel very nice does it.
sweets View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 10:55am
www.exaltedshrimp.com
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 10:59am
Ummmm...Can we just stop this here and now?  For the life of me I couldn't name one government structure that isn't evil or corrupt.  None of these posts are disrepectful towards the people of any country, only the governments, and whether it feels nice or doesn't at least it's the Truth.
I LIKE SCARY RIDES
RainBow View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainBow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 11:06am

Yah that is my point... ALL governments are corrupt, why point out one in particular and insult people? It DOESN'T feel nice to be insulted and I don't think there is any need for it.

Doodlebug View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doodlebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 11:27am
To Joe:

I also hope that BF will evolve into a milder strain.  However, one of Dr. Niman's posts today says that data indicate that there are two distinct strains of H5N1 circulating in China (which I'm sure you already know of course).  The situation does not seem as straightforward as we might wish it to be in this country.

http://www.recombinomics.com/News/04060603/H5N1_Qinghai_Liaoning.html
unpathedhaunts View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unpathedhaunts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 1:50pm
I'm getting frustrated with this forum because people don't stay on the subject of the thread! Can we make an effort to stay on topic?
Linda View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by chinese people chinese people wrote:

I guess for my part it is because there are so many reports saying how out of control things are and not enough people like you saying that things are ok.....The Chinese govt. refusal to hand over samples to the WHO until recently didn't help either. But maybe if more people from China speak out it would be better.
What part of China are you in?

Insanity is making the same mistakes and expecting different results....therefore...Those who don't learn from history are bound to go insane.
Gary View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 3:52pm
Especially if you toss in a few pigs!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 4:13pm

On the bright side, it is good to see that this website has not been blocked by the Great fireWall of China (someone elses label, not mine). Rather than sitting here debating on what our chinese friend can do for us, we should be sitting here thinking of what we can do for our chinese friend. At least the people of china can access this site, read it for themselves, and make their own decision on wether or not to prepare or take precautions. Knowledge is power my friends. And we can share that.

Edited by justme - April 06 2006 at 4:16pm
cv1632 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cv1632 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by justme justme wrote:

<FONT size=+0>

On the bright side, it is good to see that this website has not been blocked by the Great fireWall of China (someone elses label, not mine). Rather than sitting here debating on what our chinese friend can do for us, we should be sitting here thinking of what we can do for our chinese friend. At least the people of china can access this site, read it for themselves, and make their own decision on wether or not to prepare or take precautions. Knowledge is power my friends. And we can share that.

Just Me, Hello and AMEN!

Why do some people Hate, with incredible passion, and yet without reason, consideration of fact, or any allowance for rebuttal. Father God, forgive me if I should ever be this intolerant of others.
Fiddlerdave View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlerdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 5:05pm

Given that the WHO and the CDC are all keeping their secrets as well, (which I have previously speculate has the motivation of keeping a few well connected pharmceutal companies in the lead for an INCREDIBLY profitable vaccine patent), PBL's response is not inappropriate in that regard.

Edited by Fiddlerdave - April 06 2006 at 7:56pm
Dave
"Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for us"!
tonseck View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonseck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 5:22pm
Joe and everyone,

It would actually be the worst thing in the world of AI mutated down to a weaker strain.  The WHO data now shows a mortality rate of human infections above 50%.  If the strain is weakened, the hosts will have a chance to travel, infect others, and maintain the virus in their bodies long enough to mutate in a human host for a longer period before the host dies.  Past cases have died before they had a chance to infect anyone but the closest caregiver.
Don't be afraid to be afraid; it keeps you on your toes.
sweets View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 9:32pm
Good point Carpenter!Star
www.exaltedshrimp.com
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by carpenter carpenter wrote:

Joe and everyone,

It would actually be the worst thing in the world of AI mutated down to a weaker strain.  The WHO data now shows a mortality rate of human infections above 50%.  If the strain is weakened, the hosts will have a chance to travel, infect others, and maintain the virus in their bodies long enough to mutate in a human host for a longer period before the host dies.  Past cases have died before they had a chance to infect anyone but the closest caregiver.

Carpenter, it is called "normal flu."  Sure, people die from normal flu, but the death rate is 0.008%.  Compared to 50% mortality, that is very, very good.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 6:12pm
pbl, writing from China, wrote:
"Now chinese government are doing a tight cooperation with WHO, to share the experience with all country of bird flu control. Here is a report.
The only thing USA will do is sale their expensive drug to developing country to plunder the wealth. Just like Roche and GSK. If I am chinese leader, i will not share any experience of bird flu with USA government."

Sound like propoganda? Maybe because it is:
"The troubled poultry industry got support from unexpected quarters: the CPI (Maoists), which said that bird flu was "a gigantic hoax" and "a conspiracy" of US pharma companies to sell their vaccine and "the master plan of the US to enter the Indian poultry industry". It has asked the public to reject US chicken products as they "contain hazardous preservatives".

Fiddlerdave View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlerdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 6:53pm
"Sound like propoganda? Maybe because it is:"

Well, its not! The "papers" our scientists want to write (while we die) mean fame, patents and money in the bank. 
<<<<
"China in particular has been slow to share, blocking exports of poultry viruses for more than a year and only recently providing two human isolates to the WHO network.

Salzberg insists that's unlikely to change until Western scientists start sharing, too.

"I don't think we're going to get the Chinese to start releasing samples and data until U.S. scientists can do it themselves - before publication, with no restrictions," he says. "<<<

And I watched O'reailly, desperately trying to minimize bird flu dangers ("so in ten years we might have a problem") two weeks ago - unfortunately, he was given a serious microbiolgist who set him straight - she must not have been told the memo agenda of the day - "dismiss bird flu".  Oreilly lamely added that people in Africa got it because "they do voodoo things with chicken blood".  Poor guy.

The Maoists are a fringe dissent party in China.  Hardly representative of the government (positively OR negatively).  China and Mao have just about nothing in common anynore.

Emphasis is mine:
<<<
"Ultra-leftist elements in the People’s Republic of China (PRC), claiming absolute loyalty to the late leader Mao Zedong and firmly against the regime’s reformist course both at home and abroad, may have become an insignificant factor in the country’s politics now, but what is intriguing is that the present Chinese Communist Party (CCP) leadership has more or less  chosen to tolerate  their dissent. "
<<<

China is a formidible competitor, hard line and potentially dangerous. When there's plenty of negative policies of the Chinese government, why quote a fringe group?  Why criticize a policy shared by western institutions?  It does not advance your cause.  And kids these days are not upset by  the term "Chairman Mao".  They probably think it is a breakfast cereal or punk band.

Edited by Fiddlerdave - April 08 2006 at 6:54pm
Dave
"Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for us"!
Guest View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 7:49pm
"On the bright side, it is good to see that this website has not been blocked by the Great fireWall of China (someone elses label, not mine). Rather than sitting here debating on what our chinese friend can do for us, we should be sitting here thinking of what we can do for our chinese friend. At least the people of china can access this site, read it for themselves, and make their own decision on wether or not to prepare or take precautions. Knowledge is power my friends. And we can share that."

Keep in mind that you really do not know who is posting or why they are posting.  Yes, I am suspicious.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic