Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

What would you forget?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2006 at 3:24pm
There is a washbucket that you can purchase at some stores that has a mop ringer on it...you could wash in the bucket and wring with the mop wringer. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2006 at 5:20pm
If you only own one pair of eyeglasses you might want to consider getting a backup pair, in case of accidents. Your world will seem a lot smaller if you can't see.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2006 at 6:05am
Hi,

The wonder washer is available online at Harriet Carter's website:
and was $49.98.

(Don't forget a folding laundry rack to dry the clothes on.)

K.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2006 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by Annie Annie wrote:

***Will try the laundry sheets, but if Bounce does not work we had bought five cans of DEET Bug Spray yesterday.

****Three more large Hydrogen Peroxide bottles to treat open wounds (still missing the volka, got some wiskey) from Joe Namouths experience.

***Lamp oil and extra wicks.

***Fix-a-flat and Slime Tire Sealant.

***We have an extra pressure switch for the water-well and extra belt for the tractor.

Hi Annie,
Be careful of Deet.  You should not use it on kids, and if you spray it on plastic, it will eat it.  It is not really good for you, so you should wash it off with soap and water after you are indoors.  I was going sailing in Belize a fews years ago and I found a product that was made with catnip oil.  I used it on the ocean and in the jungle and had great success with it.
honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 7:10pm

.............the big WHAT IF?

I was sitting here last night, in the bedroom that is my office/laundry room/closet, and staring at the many boxes of papers, notebooks, booklets, printouts, etc.  I needed to clear some out because I wanted the space to store preps.  I realized that they are so old that some were moved and never unpacked.  All unsorted.  I couldn't tell you what was in some of those... 

Then I got struck with the big WHAT IF.  The thing we don't talk about.  What if I were to die?  What would people find if they had to search through the boxes.  An old journal?  Notes they won't understand.  Pictures that no one would know who they are.  Secrets I don't want told. Oh nooo, where is my memory - what are these things?

Sheer panic at others going through my private papers has motivated me to finally go through those boxes and choose what to keep.  Ermm

So consider the what if -- my husband would know the legal stuff; but he wouldn't know my family keepsakes from other accumulated junk.

So make a personal list of items that should be given to your family members.  Who should all you research on a subject/hobby be given to?

Make sure anything you leave behind are things you don't mind being revealed about you.

And if you have not updated your wills, deeds, proxies, accounts, power of attorney - do so today!

Honeybee
Weeping Willow View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weeping Willow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 8:40pm
 don't use deet try this it stinks but works 1/3 stale flat beer (any kind) 1/3 epsom salt and 1/3 listerine, spry bushes heavily and around area you use will not hurt your plants and works for months even after it rains smells goes away in the yard. thouhgt about soaking a half  roll of paper towels in this to use for body don't know if i can get past the smell
honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 8:52pm
Avon Skin So Soft works too
Honeybee
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by TrailsEnd TrailsEnd wrote:

I found a product that was made with catnip oil.  I used it on the ocean and in the jungle and had great success with it

Do you know the name of it and where you got it? If it gives "great success in the jungle", we'd like to give it a try.

We have water behind our house and thick woods, and the mosquitos are bad (even with Skin so soft, I do use that because I don't want to use DEET products, but it doesn't help all that much)
Rhonda View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhonda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 6:04pm
Grace ,
Have you tried Repel it is a plant based lemon and Eucalyptus insect repellent. I purchased it in the camping section (Target) and used it camping last weekend.  It was great it works for black flys , mosquitos and deer ticks. Not one bite all weekend ,the only side effect is you smell like lemon .
outsidethecamp View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outsidethecamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2006 at 10:09pm
IMHO...while there is a lot of good info. & ideas here, the one most important thing that was forgotten in all of this is...

THE BIBLE!

Do you even have one cuz you're gonna wish you did!!!

Read it, people.  PLEASE.

All else is simply fluff...

God help us all...
Peggy

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2006 at 10:12am
Rhonda, thanks for your post! Wouldn't you know, I just purchased Repel, they carry it at Walmart too, that's where I picked it up.

We got our Consumer Reports last week or so, where Repel rated the best non Deet repellent. I put it on my boys this weekend, and it works great, not one bite (that I know of - they still had some old bite marks, so it was hard to tell the difference).

It DOES smell strong, (and some people might not like it for that reason), you have to bathe if you don't want to get the smell on your couch or something, but I'm glad my boys didn't complain of having such "smelly" stuff on them. That's a great feat in itself. And just now I read your reply about Repel, makes me happy I purchased it. Thanks.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2006 at 10:17am
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2006 at 12:58pm
Thanks, TrailsEnd, I'll try this too.   
pugmom View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pugmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2006 at 7:11pm
lots of extra rat poison, mice traps.   
jpc
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 8:16am
Make sure your will is up to date, just in case.
honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 9:27am
Last minute items I want to remember (includes things I just don't want to spend the money on until necessary):

Fill up the gas tanks (buy locking caps)

Stamps and envelopes, extra pens - also make sure you have current addresses/phone numbers/emails of people you care about.

Lots of computer paper. In case the power goes out I will print extra copies of all my (genealogy) documents and family photos - I plan to spend time making scrapbooks for people in the family. (set that aside for when no power) - stock up tape, glue, etc.

Notify family/friends that I am willing to house (we all have those who won't see the reality until TSHTF). If you plan the speech in advance its easier to deliver.  "You are welcome to come and stay, but as of Monday, we are self quarantened and can't accept visitors, or allow you to go to work."  We are retired, with the usual senior health problems, so I expect this will be met with understanding.

Visit the Gutenberg Project and download/print some books that look interesting. (http://www.gutenberg.org/)

Blank VCR tapes to start copying movies daily (you can copy recorded shows from the cable to vcr) - I figure if we loose cable and still have power, then we will have a supply of movies to watch)

Someone elses good advice from this forum:  When TSHTF, call and have a landline put in and sign up for DHL (incase cable service is gone).  As the author of this idea pointed out - I too will go nuts if I can't get online...

Tongue The moment many of us have been waiting for:
tell your boss to take this job and...lol

Honeybee
klavawithcin View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klavawithcin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2006 at 10:06pm
Lice treatment, ringworm treatment,yeast infection, atheletes foot,drawing salve,icy hot,disposable heat wraps in case of no electricity,crutches,walking cane, cleaning products for bedridden folks,suppositories, smaller disposable gloves for children,beeswax and wicks,medicinal spirits....
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2006 at 9:45am
Originally posted by Thordawggy Thordawggy wrote:

<FONT>A few big bags of charcoal in case you run out of propane and other fuel or incase the propane stove breaks.  You can always dig a small pit to use the charcoal if you don't have a BBQ for it.  It would only take a handfull of coals to make a meal so a large bag will go a long way.  Or use them on top of and under a cast iron dutch oven.  Good for cooking that  possum in.   [IMG]height=17 alt=LOL src="http://www.avianflutalk.com/smileys/smiley36.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle>

Good Idea especially for bugging out

klavawithcin View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klavawithcin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2006 at 10:35am
Originally posted by klavawithcin klavawithcin wrote:

Lice treatment, ringworm treatment,yeast infection, atheletes foot,drawing salve,icy hot,disposable heat wraps in case of no electricity,crutches,walking cane, cleaning products for bedridden folks,suppositories, smaller disposable gloves for children,beeswax and wicks,medicinal spirits....

Also,calamine lotion,aloe vera juice and gel as well as a plants, chigger treatment, shoe pad inserts,blister first aid, instant brown rice (regular takes 45 min. to cook,that's a lot of fuel if yer runnin low), moonpies,RC cola, cheerwine and pecan whirls...Embarrassed
honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2006 at 10:47am
Tongue  Don't forget your sense of humor...we will need it!

To those who haven't visited the home canning thread - please do so.

I have learned how to can both butter and quick breads. Both require only careful attention to keeping things sterile. You don't have to know how to pressure can or even waterbath.

I just canned 7 pint jars of homemade apple cinnamon bread today, its cooling now (smells heavenly).  I own a breadmaker, but it feels good to know that if we have no power, I have tasty breads, and butter to serve with them.
Honeybee
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2006 at 10:52am
Total repair kit for commode--O wax ring for commode.
Attach pully system to ceiling of shower as well as battery operated light. Will heat sun shower on ledge out side of window.
Buy each family member a head light to be able read at night, as well as book lights, candles and lanterns just do not put out enough light for me.

God bless
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2006 at 5:40pm
Chocolate...lots and lots of chocolates and birth control.  Don't won't to do a home birth!Wink
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2006 at 11:30am
Long underwear, warm clothes, and many sheets and blankets in case the power is off in the winter.  There is nothing worse than being cold.   We have a down comfortor that we can hardly sleep under because it is so warm.

I bought another large bag of rice.  It will fill you up and is inexpensive.

Have you ever tried to put canned chili on spaghetti? 

Plywood to board up easily accessible windows, just in case.

I'm thinking that no matter how much food we get that it will not be enough to weather a viral storm of up to a year to a year and a half.  My problem is trying to come up with enough variety of food to keep it interesting.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic