Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

May 22, What have you done to Prepare?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conelrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 8:13pm
I bought 6 cans of the Red Feather canned butter. Bought it on eBay. Got 6 cans for $37. A little pricey, but canned butter is getting hard to find lately. Just got it the other day. From the same seller, they had the Kraft canned cheese. I haven't ordered any of that yet, but probably will get some.
"You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky, but you cannot interpret the signs of the times."
oknut View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oknut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 5:46am
Raptureready,

Watkins is a company that sells concentrated extracts that are used for flavoring things.
Long ago, when I was a child, (now 54) - my mother used to make pancake syrup using a product called Mapleine. It actually made tasty syrup. Guess the Mapleine product doesn't exist anymore so I searched for maple flavored extracts and it seems Watkins brand is one of the better ones.

I picked up several small bags of the real bacon that's sold in the salad toppings area too. I'd purchased a large bag earlier and discovered that it does require refrigeration after opening so I figured small bags would be better for preps. It keeps well in the frig, but I'd hate to waste excess if the power was out.
July View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote July Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 6:53am
Has anyone seen "canned bacon"?  They used to sell it but I havn't seen it for years.  With all that rice I've stored, I plan to make a lot of "fried rice" using bacon to season, plus chopped  onion.  I've been stocking up on bacon to freeze as it doesn't take much room, but am worried about if the power goes out for several days.  The idea of running out of coffee is scary, but there's always caffinated tea as a second choice and easy to store.

I often buy canned bacon because it is so easy.
I buy a store brand that in my store is with the salad dressing, etc.  Hormel also sells it in a bag. I found it as well  with the salad items.

I also found cheese dip in a metal can near the chips today that would be good if there was no power,  to go with all the rice.
Gexydaf View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gexydaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 9:50am

I found a cool, camping popcorn popper at a rummage sale for $2.00.  My daughter didn’t even realize that you could make popcorn without a microwave!

RebeccaS View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RebeccaS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 10:16am
Today I finally got my sister to start prepping.  She insists that my mom is going to as well, but I dont know.  I think I am finally getting through to my family.  They have started asking me questions about BF and looking for information on the web.  I've stepped up my prepping, looking for a camping stove and other camping equipment next.
-SCARED IN CONNECTICUT
oknut View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oknut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 12:06pm
Just back from another trip to WallyWorld.

another 20# bag of Jasmine rice
more canned meats
jars of tomato/chicken boullion
dry black eyed peas
dry red beans
4.5# of elbow macaroni
more instant potatoes
more canned veggies & soups
instant grits
more small bags of bacon crumbles
more tiny boxes of velveeta cheese
more kitty litter and pet food
more toilet paper
some normal groceries

Could not find any dry mung beans so I will probably have to visit the Asian grocery store for those. I want some on hand for sprouting. Already have lots of alfalfa seed, but no mung beans.

Our friends next door still haven't started any prepping so we may need the extra rice to feed them. Not sharing the toilet paper though
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by conelrad conelrad wrote:

I bought 6 cans of the Red Feather canned butter. Bought it on eBay.
Got 6 cans for $37. A little pricey, but canned butter is getting hard
to find lately. Just got it the other day. From the same seller, they
had the Kraft canned cheese. I haven't ordered any of that yet, but
probably will get some.

Conelrad, just to let you know (since you mentioned you'd probably get more and some canned Kraft cheese as well) www.internet-grocer.com sells the Red Feather canned butter as well. ($3.99 a can I believe. Still pricy, but cheaper than ebay. Sorry.)

I'm in no way affiliated with the seller, I just got my canned butter and cheese from there. I paid $2.99 for the Kraft cheese, I don't know if the price is still the same (or if shipping is more than what you paid on ebay).
oknut View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oknut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 1:13pm
I also ordered a case of the canned cheese from internet-grocer. It was delivered quickly and is tucked away somewhere in the ever-growing stacks of preps.

I am NOT organized. Just keep bringing things home and finding places to put them. I'll have to deal with organizing thing later. Right now it just seems more urgent to get them.

There have been many discussions about the safety of home canned butter, but I did already can roughly 10# of it and hope to put up some more. We've got quite a bit in the freezer for when I get around to it.   
Bill 100 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill 100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 2:45pm
oknut. You have a computer. I use a excel type program to keep a inventory. It saved me packing and unpacking to see what I had and what else I needed. I don't even have to get up off my chair. You can even estimate how many meals they will make. Hope it helped.
Diana60 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diana60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 3:28pm
I have four small canisters of propane, but in lieu of everything going on in Indonesia, will be adding to my collection tomorrow.  Also, I have enough food stockpiled for 2-3 weeks and plan on doubling that as well.  I was concerned before, but now I am very worried.
Tabula Rasa
oknut View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oknut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 3:31pm
Thanks Bill.

I have been so overwhelmed with work and watching the news that I don't even have half my garden planted yet this year.   

In fact, as I was reading the latest here at the forum and still unpacking my groceries, I got an email from my manger wanting to know the status of something I said I'd work on today.
I just turned down an opportunity for a full time contract position at a company I like because I'm too old, too busy and too overwhelmed with things right now. Wish I was making too much money, but that's not the case. LOL!

I started prepping haphazardly and have pretty much continued in that fashion. Although I had the best of intentions and had things stacked neatly in an open area of the house, we have had large numbers of houseguests a couple of times since I started and shuffled all of the preps out of the way to accomodate the company.

Total chaos, but at least I know we have the preps - somewhere....
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by raptureready raptureready wrote:

Originally posted by Melody4Avon Melody4Avon wrote:

Does anyone know if Wal-Mart carried powdered eggs? Thanks.Smile

No, they don't.  I ordered mine from Honeyville grains BUT They still have yet to ship me my order.  I called and they said it is on it's way...BUT, nothing.  I am getting a littled worried if they are a good company.Shocked

I ordered mine on 21 may, they got delivered today 27 may.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2006 at 10:52am
I have had three orders over the past two months from honeyville, and they are very good about everything. One of the items I ordered was oxygen absorbers, and the box apparently broke open and they got lost. I called to tell them and they were in my mailbox two days later.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2006 at 6:27am
Originally posted by Seajane Seajane wrote:

'Has anyone seen "canned bacon"?  They used to sell it but I havn't seen it for years.  With all that rice I've stored, I plan to make a lot of "fried rice" using bacon to season, plus chopped  onion.  I've been stocking up on bacon to freeze as it doesn't take much room, but am worried about if the power goes out for several days.  The idea of running out of coffee is scary, but there's always caffinated tea as a second choice and easy to store.

I've been stocking up on Hormel fully cooked bacon in vacuum sealed packages...(needs no ref. until opened)  from Sam's club.  It's cheaper by the pound than buying 'raw' bacon and no worries if the power goes out except we would need to consume all 72 pieces at once if there wasn't a way to ref the extra!!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2006 at 6:30pm
Added 50 lbs more rice, canned beef tips, bought replacements; broom & mops, extra hot water bottle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic