Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Alaskan Bird Droppings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alaskan Bird Droppings
    Posted: June 08 2006 at 6:48pm
(hope this is not a duplicate)

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/local/index.php?ntid=85275&ntpid=2

The fecal samples from birds in Alaska came without fanfare, in two nondescript shipping boxes.

But their arrival Thursday at the National Wildlife Health Center in Madison launched the biggest project in the 30- year-old center's history: surveillance for the H5N1 bird flu virus threatening the globe.

The 758 samples, from king eiders, sandhill cranes and other waterfowl hunted by Alaskan natives near the Yukon River delta, were frozen in pinkish solution inside tiny vials.

Robots will extract genetic material from the samples, pool the material into wells on lab plates, and heat and cool the collections until they glow if H5N1 is present.

"We're ready to go to town," said Hon Ip, who oversees the diagnostic virology lab at the center off Schroeder Road on the city's West Side. "But you never know what Mother Nature is going to throw at us."

With an infusion of nearly $3 million from President Bush's $3.8 billion bird flu readiness plan, the center is at the forefront of the country's lookout for the deadly virus.

Globally, the disease has led to the death or slaughter of millions of birds, devastating many poultry farms. It has killed 124 of the 218 people known to be infected since late 2003.

Scientists fear that the virus could kill millions of people worldwide if it becomes easily transmissible among people. A recent cluster of cases among family members in Indonesia, seven of whom died, has heightened concern.

H5N1 has not appeared in the United States. But if it does, a likely entry route is Alaska, which biologists call "Grand Central Station" of bird migration. Waterfowl could carry the virus from Asia over the Bering Strait and infect birds that fly to California and inland states.

Many experts say it is inevitable that the disease will eventually reach U.S. soil.

"I don't say 'if' anymore," said Leslie Dierauf, director of the center. "I said 'when.' "

The fecal swabs delivered by Fed Ex on Thursday are among nearly 20,000 samples expected at the center this year. While the first batch was from birds killed by hunters, most will come from live birds trapped by biologists this spring and fall.

A related effort will involve the necropsies, or animal autopsies, routinely performed at the center each year on more than 1,000 birds that die suspiciously throughout the country.

Pathologists will look closely for extra fluid in the birds' lungs or other signs of bird flu.

"It's possible the virus will appear differently in different species," said Scott Wright, chief of disease investigations at the center.

Ip and his colleagues will test the samples in two ways: with the robots, which produce results within a day; and by trying to grow the virus in eggs, which can take two weeks but is considered the "gold standard."

If samples appear to contain H5N1, they will be sent for confirmation to the National Veterinary Services Lab in Ames, Iowa.

Only then would federal officials announce that bird flu has arrived. Officials from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Health and Human Services, Homeland Security and the Department of Interior are already planning how to carefully break the news, Ip said.

"It's not going to be a trivial finding," he said.

COMMENT :

Current tests can provide a positive in 2-3 hours. It has been 13 days.
Indonesia released news of the nurse negatives in a few days. What would be the definition of "carefully breaking the news?"

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 6:58pm
They are long overdue as reports had them here the week before last.

Only then would federal officials announce that bird flu has arrived. Officials from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Health and Human Services, Homeland Security and the Department of Interior are already planning how to carefully break the news, Ip said.

How does one annouce TSHTF (the **** has hit the fan) in a politically correct way ?

Had always thought that they already knew it was here. Its just a matter of orchestrating the event and getting the info to the unwashed masses.

Not even reports of infected birds will wake them up.
Gimme View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gimme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 6:59pm
medclinician
Yeah very carefully breaking news.  USA todays big article about how safe the US poultry is and how they have been operating at mid level biosecurity for a while now.  Exactly what further precautions they would take if H5N1 was discovered. 

Something is missing .. like the results of all that testing.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 7:03pm
Updated: 6:43 p.m. ET May 18, 2006
function UpdateTimeStamp(pdt) { var n = document.getElementById("udtD"); if(pdt != '' && n && window.DateTime) { var dt = new DateTime(); pdt = dt.T2D(pdt); if(dt.GetTZ(pdt)) {n.innerHTML = dt.D2S(pdt,((''.toLowerCase()=='false')?false:true));} } } UpdateTimeStamp('632835890066070000');

ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Federal scientists have started testing migratory birds for signs of a dangerous bird flu that could show up on this continent this spring.

Here is when they started MAY 18th!!
Gimme View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gimme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 7:08pm
Ponygirl

"Had always thought that they already knew it was here. Its just a matter of orchestrating the event and getting the info to the unwashed masses. "

Remember New Jersey and how carefully and untimely that final report came out?  First it was H5, then it wasn't, then it was a low path, then it wasn't.. but they say the owner destroyed all the chickens, never identifying the owner or the address.  
Gosh he destroyed all his birds for no good reason??
Remember to wash your hands though.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 7:16pm
Ok there is a chance things are running slow with the lab results.
But am thinking maybe the results are not good.
Am watching what they are doing and Leavitt et al. and Bush's cabinet people meeting with the media re: BF this week.

The Alaska birds would have been tested the week of 5/22.
And also NOW they are supposed to have some super sensitive tests which can yield results in people and animals in 4 hours.
Maybe it doesnt apply to bird ****.

So something doesnt add up here. Or they have a bunch of slow incompetent boobs doing the testing.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 7:22pm
My understanding was that they started collecting the samples in mid May. Then they would be sent to Wisconsin, and then confirmed in Ames. I figured we would hear by mid June. Even if they are infected, that isn't the biggest problem. But that would certainly wake up a few people. I always believe that if it's negative they would shout it from the rooftops,if positive, they would have a meeting to decide what to say. I thought we would know by now, but maybe it's too soon. Anyway, it's just my opinion, nothing more.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 7:29pm
Alright have been reading thru as many articles as possible on Alaska and the testing in WI.

Apparently the results can be seen in ONE DAY. They will repeat to ensure accuracy but here is the information:

A small robot extracts genetic material from a sample. Another robot sets up the test, injecting bits of the sample into narrow, test-tube-like wells. The machine goes through heating and cooling cycles to make more copies of the genetic material; a substance is added to make it glow if H5N1 is present.

The process is so high tech that even simple interpretation is not trusted to mere mortals: A fiber-optic cable measures the strength of the fluorescence and reports the amount of virus.

The analysis takes one day, but "the implications of that first positive are so high, we would want to repeat that test" before announcing that H5N1 had turned up in the United States, Ip said.

Capital Times Madison WI

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 7:31pm
This test was completed on MAY 24th Wednesday as stated in the article above.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 7:32pm
So it takes 2 days, and then sent to Ames for confirmation????Another 2 days, so less than a week. Shouldn't we know by now?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 7:34pm
What about the 14 days for the gold standard at the bottom of the article?

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 7:37pm

Scientists also will inject each sample into eggs containing 9- to 11-day-old chicken embryos and allow them to grow for about two weeks before testing for the virus again.

Bingo. You are right Ruth. And it has now been 2 weeks. ANY DAY NOW.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 7:41pm
I just read the post about the updated cdc guidelines, which were updated today. Lots of things seem to be coming together, anyone have any thoughts?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 9:43pm

Hummingbird Avian Influenza

http://www.nwhc.usgs.gov/disease_information/avian_influenza/index.jsp

Update: May 31, 2006

NWHC Activities Update

The USGS National Wildlife Health Center NWHC received its first shipment of samples from Alaska on May 25 as part of the multi-agency early detection program for the avian influenza virus (H5N1) in migratory birds in the United States.  Over the past few weeks, scientists began collecting samples from live shore birds near Anchorage and from subsistence hunter-killed birds in the Yukon Delta National Wildlife Refuge. The most recent shipment of samples contained over 700 vials of cloacal swabs from subsistence-hunted birds and included king eiders, emperor geese, lesser sandhill cranes, northern pintails, mallards, white-fronted geese, black brants, and Canada geese. Including this shipment, the NWHC expects to receive about 1,300 sample vials over the next few days. These samples will be checked and catalogued before going through the virus testing procedure in the virology laboratory at NWHC. NWHC will be testing all samples taken from Department of Interior lands, and other federal and state laboratories will also be involved in the wild bird testing program.  The National Veterinary Services Laboratory in Ames, Iowa, will verify any H5 and H7 avian influenza positives found. The number of samples received at NWHC during the next several months could total between 15,000 and 20,000.

born cynical View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote born cynical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 10:16pm
It is a damm shame but I'm starting to place more importance on what is NOT being reported,than what IS being reported.And it is not just Iran or China at fault.
pheasant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pheasant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2006 at 3:43am
so true......makes you wonder
The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself......FDR
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2006 at 5:50am
Ok, So May 25th was a Thursday, they need to input all data etc, then Memorial day weekend. So let's say testing started on the 30th or 31, then 2-4 days, then sent to Ames, another couple of days, then two more weeks, looks like maybe June 18-20th. So it's too soon. However, I would watch officials very carefully over the next week to see who meets with whom etc. Much planning would need to take place before an announcement is made. Again, just my opinion.
lolo88 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lolo88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2006 at 6:01am
I agree, too soon.  I say end of June.  Plus, remember this is a govt agency, so give them a couple of extra days to log all those vials...and all of the other red tape exercises they will undoubtedly have to go through.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2006 at 6:20am
Ok a couple of thoughts, first I'm glad you are ok. A large # of hospital staff picked this up, means several other HCW got sick also? It probably wasn't a reportable illness, so they treated and released, as long as nobody died, I guess they wouldn't need to report it. Another thought,I agree with you that "they" have preliminary results, however, this country needs to be spoon fed information, because they seem to have difficulty understanding things,(actually I just don't think people want to hear it). Positive test results might cause panic because of lack of understanding. More education is needed in order for people to understand what this means. (One person asked me over the weekend when should she stop eating chicken?) I told her that was the least of her worries, she should be concerned about a pandemic flu, the others in the room laughed it off. But I agree that we need to know ASAP so we can get better prepared. Thanks again for you post. Lot's to think about...
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2006 at 6:21am
Originally posted by lolo88 lolo88 wrote:

I agree, too soon.  I say end of June.  Plus, remember this is a govt agency, so give them a couple of extra days to log all those vials...and all of the other red tape exercises they will undoubtedly have to go through.

Actually considering what has been posted, it is perhaps a little early yet considering all the variables listed. If we do not hear something pretty specific by July 1st, then I would think we should be concerned.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2006 at 6:22am
What happened to your last post? Medclinician
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2006 at 6:30am

They can get a result in ONE DAY.

Am thinking if there were positives they would have to send it on to the next level before reporting it.

But if it were negative they could have ALREADY said all preliminary tests are negative.

Am a little leary of these results and am equally concerned about how they will report outbreaks of flu. WHO has really dropped the ball, is underreporting, allowing countries to circulate misinformation with no consequence. They are downplaying every report that happens.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2006 at 6:57am
Did anyone read Medclinician recent long post? I read it and responded but then it disappeared. Anyone know what happpened?
Also, I think you are right,ponygirl they probably found positive results, so we wait.............
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2006 at 7:13am

In addition, the U.S. Department of Agriculture will be testing droppings from tens of thousands of birds around the country.

And given the dire warnings recently from some of the state Governors from Pennsylvania and New Jersey would not be surprised if they uncover additional cases.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2006 at 7:14am
If you knew me a year ago, I was gullible and placated that government had everything under control.  In the past year, I have become more cynical with each passing month.

I believe we already have something here in the United States.  I don't know if it is H5N1 or an H5N2 strain that has gone nasty or an H9N2 or H7N3 strain that can kill monkeys and goats and horses and cows as well as birds.

Regardless of what type of Avian Influenza it is, it is here. There have been too many animal deaths to ignore it.  It is not Newcastles as was reported in Chihuahua, Mexico two/three months ago.  It could be the H5N2 strain that broke out in southern Mexico and Guatamala a few weeks before that.

Our government is not telling us what came up from the south.  Instead it wants to lead us on and on about the threat from the north (which is real)
but may not be as important as what is already here.

Oh well, once IT does come down from the north there will be no need to resort to ABBF anymore.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2006 at 7:18am
Something that bothers me are other species of mammals that have turned up with the disease (IE., Stone Marten, Mink, Cat) from different places in the world. Its not just birds and am wondering how many other species are going undetected.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2006 at 7:21am

HELLO

Is there any investigative journalist that could help get a handle on this ??? Can someone get some answers from MADISON WI RE Alaska ?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2006 at 7:22am
Originally posted by PonyGirl PonyGirl wrote:

Something that bothers me are other species of mammals that have turned up with the disease (IE., Stone Marten, Mink, Cat) from different places in the world. Its not just birds and am wondering how many other species are going undetected.

To that, you need to ask the Chinese.  The initial Boxun Reports out of China told us a lot about the early outbreak at Qinghai Lakes (where H5N1 officially mutated into the world's greatest killing machine)

http://www.avianflutalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1469
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2006 at 7:30am
We need people from University of Wisconsin, Madison, and University of Iowa, Ames, I think that's where the testing is being done. I think???
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2006 at 7:31am
I still don't know what happened to medclinician's post. I guess he or she wrote it, and then deleted it. Too bad, it was really interesting.
iameuru111 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iameuru111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2006 at 7:39am

regarding trusting government officials. does anyone here remember when AIDS reared its ugly head in the 1980s? i worked in the medical profession then, there were seminars on this new disease. ways to prevent contamination to oneself etc. in 1983 1984? i was scheduled for an elective surgery. i actually called my regional blood center to see if i could donate my own blood ahead of time. i'll never forget what i  was told.  the person told me i had nothing to worry about. that i needed to be much more worried about hepatitis than HIV. i was much younger then, so just decided they new what they were talking about. THANK GOD  i didn't need any blood!  it was only years later that we found out about the thousands of people contracted the disease because of blood transfusions. this is why i now think for myself.  

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2006 at 7:46am
Dr. Leslie Dierauf, director of the USGS's National Wildlife Health Center
US Geological Survey Madison, WI.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2006 at 7:52am
This was from Bloomberg today:

As of June 1, 2,523 samples had been collected in Alaska, according to Bruce Woods, a Fish and Wildlife spokesman. Of the 758 tested so far, all have been negative.

Gerlach, the state vet in Anchorage, is in charge of screening 2,000 birds used for food, including farm and backyard poultry.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2006 at 8:15am
Thanks for the post.
Gimme View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gimme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2006 at 8:41am
Originally posted by born cynical born cynical wrote:

It is a damm shame but I'm starting to place more importance on what is NOT being reported,than what IS being reported.And it is not just Iran or China at fault.

Actually I think it's the economies <-- plural  just my own opinion as to why information is not getting out faster or ... maybe accurately.

Gimme View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gimme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2006 at 9:11am
Ponygirl

Well that's good so far considering it was only 700+ samples tested.

I just found this .pdf file that shows the migratory paths including where the birds are coming from, when they are expected in Alaska.
Check it out.  I figure its been posted here before some where.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2006 at 3:02pm

Scientist hunt for bird flu in Barrow, Alaska

June 9, 2006 - Posted in the nation's northernmost city, scientist watch for signs of deadly virus

BARROW, Alaska -- Nearly 350 miles above the Arctic Circle, a traditional Eskimo feast to celebrate a successful whale hunt is in the making. On the table, chopped-up chunks of wild fowl are ready for the pot - all except for a lovely king eider duck. Before this duck is plucked and cooked, a government scientist will swab it to take a sample for bird flu testing.

Scientists have been posted in Barrow - the nation's northernmost city, set in a treeless expanse of tundra on the edge of the ice-bound Arctic Ocean - to look for early warning signs that migratory birds are bringing the deadly virus to North America.

No one knows when or if H5N1 avian influenza will arrive on U.S. shores, but if it does come by wild bird, experts want to know early on, before it can devastate the poultry supply, or worse.

< =text/> //

The virus has led to the death or slaughter of millions of birds in Asia, Europe and Africa and killed more than 128 people who had close contract with sick birds. The bigger fear is that the virus could mutate into a form that could pass easily from human to human, sparking a pandemic.

But as Corey Rossi, district supervisor for the U.S. Department of Agriculture's wildlife services in Alaska, prepares to take a fecal sample from the duck with a swab, he relays the same message he has been giving since he arrived in Barrow a week earlier.

"I don't think we're going to find anything but we're looking just to make sure," he says. He tucks the cotton swab in a sterile vial to be sealed, labeled and sent on to a government lab while Laura Paktotak and her cousin pluck, chop and deliver the duck to the pot.

The testing is part of an effort to sample between 75,000 and 100,000 live and hunter-killed birds across the nation, of which 19,000 are to come from various points around Alaska.

Barrow, population 4,800, is a place where a sharp wind whips the grit from the dirt roads, and snow flurries fly even in June. Because it is a crossroads for birds migrating back and forth from Asia and traveling to and from the Lower 48 states, Barrow is on the front lines of the early-detection plan - a fact that caused some consternation at first among people who live here and depend on wild fowl for food.

A public information campaign worked to ease those fears by telling hunters to cook game birds thoroughly and to use rubber gloves and exercise care when handling and cleaning their catch.

Frances Leavitt, a 41-year-old Barrow housewife, says she would never give up the foods she grew up eating. Hunting is a vital source of food in a community where a nice steak at the grocery store can go for $35 and milk is $7.50 a gallon.

Leavitt says that after the initial concerns about bird flu wore off, the subject became a joke among the hunters in her family. "They would say to each other, 'Are you going to go bird flu hunting now?"' she says.

Sampling hunter-killed birds is only a small part of the Alaska effort being waged by federal, state and local governments. Live birds also are being sampled, though that effort did not start out as smoothly as biologists hoped.

Rossi and crew spent two days trying to capture glaucous gulls at the local landfill. The idea was to fire a 50-by-60-foot net over them. The whale blubber bait failed to lure the skittish birds, which waited until later in the night to venture close.

And in a coastal marsh, biologists tried and failed to capture several species of small, quick shorebirds by stringing long nets. The birds flew up and over the mesh after a wind kicked up and set it rippling. While the scientists persist, the Inupiat Eskimos continue to rely on nature's bounty.

More than 300 Barrow residents show up at the outdoor community festival, called an apugauti, for a bowl of duck soup and some mikigaq, a tangy black viscous mixture of fermented whale blood, blubber and meat that the children gobble up like candy. The elderly in fur-trimmed parkas and youngsters in hooded sweatshirts sit at long tables at a windy community playground.

"We are keeping our tradition and culture alive," says Susan Hope. "It brings out the best in everybody."

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

ShaRenKa View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShaRenKa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2006 at 4:18pm
    Definition of when to break the news? When all "Important People" (not us peeons)...are hunkered down with their families, tamiflu and serloin steaks & champagne;)
Sha Ren Ka
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2006 at 4:19pm

Bird flu samples test negative, so far

ANNE SUTTON
Associated Press

JUNEAU, Alaska - Several thousand samples from both live and subsistence-hunted birds in Alaska have so far tested negative for the avian flu virus, according to government officials.

Scientists from federal, state and local governments are cooperating in a nationwide survey to see if wild migratory birds may have brought the disease to the North American continent. The plan is to sample between 75,000 and 100,000 wild birds around the country.

Most of the sampling will be done in Alaska, considered a migratory crossroads for birds traveling between Asia and the Lower 48.

Spokesman Bruce Woods said agencies under the Department of the Interior have collected samples from more than 4,000 birds in Alaska, mostly subsistence hunted fowl.

Just under half of those samples have been tested at the National Wildlife Health Center in Madison, Wis., and none has shown any trace of the highly pathogenic virus.

Spokeswoman Gail Keirn with the U.S. Department of Agriculture said the department has have collected almost 700 samples so far and all have tested negative for the virus. Those tests are being conducted at USDA certified veterinary labs around the country and the National Wildlife Research Center in Fort Collins, Colo.

The goal is to sample 19,000 live and hunter-killed birds in Alaska this year and collect another 1,500 fecal samples from wetlands where large numbers of birds mingle.

Scientists hope to test at least 200 samples each from 28 different species that are considered the most likely to be carriers of the virus and the most practical to sample.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2006 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by Ruth Ruth wrote:

Ah - it was only up for a few minutes and I reread it and thought.. this might be a bit much.. but okay... for the sake of openess - a brief recap.

About a year ago I had something very simliar to Avian and was hospitalized for it. When I entered the hospital my temp was 103, and my sputum cough ups were the color of dark blood. I do not smoke and I have no chronic lung problems. They immediately put me in full isolation with reverse air suction, gown, mask.. while my wife (who also had it and was not a veteran) slept at my bedside as infected and almost as sick as me.

They put me on multiple anti-virals and antibiotics both IV and oral.  I was on breathing treatments, and it nearly took me out. On the 3rd day the fever broke and I could breath a little better, and yet the fever would not stop and they kept me longer until it finally went below 99.

A PA, not the team of docs who were going in and out mumbling, told me it was h something n something, and she had had it a few weeks ago and it almost killed her. Apparently a group of people had this and they managed to contain it.

It was not reported to anyone. My wife, who is a tougie just lay there in the chair sneaking tylenol and sweating it out. She had decided - well you can piece that part together.

I have spoken to other doctors and they say I have no assurance that I had or am immune to Avian. Some have said, since I have been  in the medical profession for 35 years or so, and have had patients with  AIDs, hepatitis, and in some field work, who knows what I have been exposed to, I might have a better chance of surviving an Avian Pandemic.

This is kind of like really putting it out there, and I guess my point is that I understand what it is like to lay there, truly weak, burning up, about that far from being on a respirator and pretty scared.  I was lucky. They had medicine and it must have worked or at least helped. They did save my life.

So the corny part- At that point I decided I would let the military or whoever shoot me up with whatever vaccine they had which is called by some "the cocktail" and head out once more to the front lines,when and if a Pandemic struck,  where people are not only very sick, but very scared, and could tell them - you all have a chance and giving up is not an option.

Let's handle this before we have thousands of people with no comfy little hospital beds and tons of anti-virals as I was given which  saved my life. Before we have huge line of cots with people coughing up blood, not a respirator in sight, and not a lot of options.

I have recovered. My lungs are clear, I am back doing what I do.  We need to do what we can in the time we have to prepare. I have no doubt not one, but several Pandemics will have their day. Mine came with no warning at all - just like a cold. In two days, I was in serious trouble.

We need to be ready.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2006 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by PonyGirl PonyGirl wrote:

Bird flu samples test negative, so far

ANNE SUTTON
Associated Press

JUNEAU, Alaska - Several thousand samples from both live and subsistence-hunted birds in Alaska have so far tested negative for the avian flu virus, according to government officials.

Well, that makes my day I guess. I know that it is unlikely out of several thousand birds, non would test positive. Refer to some of the test results in Canada. This sounds a little cold, but perhaps run the test on some sick birds and be sure they work.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2006 at 4:26pm
Have had some of the same thoughts recently. Its hard to know who to believe anymore with some of these reports.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2006 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by medclinician medclinician wrote:

Originally posted by Ruth Ruth wrote:

.....while my wife (who also had it and was not a veteran) slept at my bedside as infected and almost as sick as me.
....   My wife, who is a tougie just lay there in the chair sneaking tylenol and sweating it out. ...

...I have recovered. My lungs are clear, I am back doing what I do.  ...Mine came with no warning at all - just like a cold. In two days, I was in serious trouble. ...
How is your wife? It sounds like you had massive care and drug treatment. It sounds like she only had complete rest. Are both of you are okay? Did she also cough dark sputum with a high fever? What do you make of her recovery with the lack of care, i.e. anti-virals and antibiotic? Thank you for sharing your story. Annie
ImmuneConcerned View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ImmuneConcerned Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2006 at 6:08pm

MedClinician - I thank you too!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2006 at 6:35pm
Thank you for reposting. As I said before, I'm glad you're ok. Must have been a very scary experience. I hope that no one else needs to go through that. But I'm concerned that many will. I sure hope this pandemic doesn't happen.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic